BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Good Antivirus that wont "trash Ac15"? Anyone know of any?

rob2218
Enthusiast
Well...now with all that "reinstall Windows7" nightmare somewhat behind me....anyone have any idea of a good Antivirus software that wont turn in Malware? One that behaves with AC15?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
I imagine you'll hear someone recommend most products on the market. 😉

I'm very happy with the current (and last couple of years) versions of Norton Internet Security / Norton 360. Very little system impact, even on an ancient laptop. A plus of Norton 360 is that it also includes some (optional) tune-up utilities to regularly empty out the temporary file folder, can clean up orphaned registry entries, schedule disk defragmentation and a bunch of other stuff. Has a cool start-up manager that is better than editing Windows startup file - as it lets you disable startup items you don't need at all, but delay by some minutes the launching of startup items that are helpful but not essential - making your Windows computer restart to a usable state much faster than otherwise.

One weird Norton thing is that its Live Update feature only downloads updates for the current product. But, every user is entitled to a free upgrade to the current product during their 366 day license period. For some reason, this is a manual step that I'll bet a lot of people don't know is available. Click Support > Check for New Version to get the download link.

3-license packs are often on sale, making them a good value. (I got one for $20 recently) ... but note that while you can install on 3 computers ... the license expires 366 days after the FIRST installation ... so putting a copy on another computer 6 months in to your license period only gives you 6 months coverage on that computer.

Cheers,
Karl

PS There was a time when the Norton products were big resource hogs. Tried MacAffe at the time and found they were piggish too - both memory and CPU. Back then, Norton would often hang up with Live Update failures that required time consuming troubleshooting and uninstallation / reinstallation. I've not had any of those issues in years now.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
KeesW
Advocate
We've used NOD32 for over 5 years and it has never created any problems with Archicad. Not a bad virus checker either!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you mean for Windows. I haven't used anything on the Mac side for many years, though I may try out Mackeeper which includes virus along with a bunch of other clean up and back up functions.

For Windows I've been using Avast for years. Very happy with it. You can try it for free and even keep using it for personal (noncommercial) use if your willing to reregister every few months. It seems pretty slim and inconspicuous aside from the voice telling you "virus database has been updated".
Anonymous
Not applicable
avira antivirus premium 2012 !

Great price great protection !
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have used Quick heal Total Security for years with no issues. It has PC tuner, registry cleaner, trace cleaner etc
Dennis Lee
Booster
Am I the only one using the free one from microsoft? It's worked ok for me so far. It's called Microsoft Security essentials.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
vistasp
Advisor
Dennis wrote:
Am I the only one using the free one from microsoft? It's worked ok for me so far. It's called Microsoft Security essentials.
I use Security Essentials on my (non-critical) netbook but Avast on my production desktop.

Matthew, I turned off the infernal voice notification in Settings > Sounds because it interrupts my music while I'm working.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Whether an antivirus software is free or not has almost no correlation with its quality. We can find plenty of good reasons to choose a free antivirus software's, and plenty of good reasons to go with a paid antivirus software's. Free antivirus software has one main advantage - its PRICE. The free programs typically offer the basics, such as a simple search and destroy of malware. This is also its limitation too, as the free version usually only protects your system from viruses, and does not offer the comprehensive protection you may require. As you progress through the different types of protection, more advanced features can be added on. Moreover, one of the biggest drawbacks to going with a free antivirus software is the lack of technical support. More about....Antivirus
Learn and get certified!