BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

GoogleEarth 6.2 and the google earth connection

TMA_80
Enthusiast
Could anyone please confirm if the google earth connection works with this new version. (It is not possible to import a google earth snapshot with it )
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
7 REPLIES 7
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Obviously, I have to confirm that myself .

Anyway if that's confirmed, then don't install the new Google Earth version, it will not work, and it is difficult to downgrade ( and even to have a complete unistall pf Google Earth)...

The main issue is that you'll be unable to import a google earth snapshot.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Erika Epstein
Booster
The automated data exchange between ArchiCAD 15 Windows 64-bit / OS X edition and Google Earth is not available due to technical limitations. The suggested manual communication workflow between these programs is the following:

Google Earth geo location information import to ArchiCAD 15

Mark the terrain's typical points with placemarks in Google Earth.
Export the placemarks either individually or as a group from Google Earth in .kmz/.kml format.
Import the .kmz/.kml files into ArchiCAD 15 using the Google Earth I/O converter add-on.

Note: Only scenes that contain stored geo location information can be imported into Google Earth
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Thanks Erika
I've tried many times the proposed manual workflow before posting , all I ended with is an object in ArchiCAD ( no snapshot, no terrain ! )

Even with ArchiCAD12, which was able to import snapshots from previous GE versions, is not able to anymore with the last update .
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Erika Epstein
Booster
Underscore,

Per what I quoted from graphisoft you won't be able to do this with 64bit PC or OS X.

My mac, like your 64bit windows, can't import the snapshot. My workaround is to do this on a 32 bit XP machine, save a pla and then open that on the mac. It creates a library part for the snapshot looking like the photo image is attached to the top of a mesh topo.

I've attached a zipped file with the resultant library part and the snapshot from google earth. Try loading it in the library of a project on your machine and see if it opens ok.

By the way, you've been on this forum long enough to know you should add your first name (manners 🙂), version(s) of AC and machine specs to your profile.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
This is what it looks like in AC
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Karl Ottenstein
And a tip: if you use the File menu in GE to save an image, being careful not to move the viewpoint at all, you'll get a color image. You can replace the grayscale image saved by the GE connection add-on with the color one if you wish. I've never really been sure why the color image isn't grabbed as a matter of course - but the feature within SketchUp which does the same thing also only grabs grayscale versions of the satellite imagery.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TMA_80
Enthusiast
I Haven't understood that the snapshot was not possible even with the manual process...Sorry

Ok, that seems to work fine now with ac14 32bits , I didn't use this version for my tests,

Thanks Erika and Karl.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Learn and get certified!