Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Grading Calculation - volume of excavation from a mesh

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Greetings, I need to calculate the excavated volume of soil from a mesh as it relates to a swimming pool. The pool is on a sloping mesh as seen in the attached image. For a grading calculation, is there a way to accurately calculate the volume of where the mesh intersects the pool? For the purpose of this discussion the pool can be one large slab. Thanks for any suggestions. Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
12 REPLIES 12
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Scott

Create a schedule for the mesh and calculate "Net Volume", you will have to run the schedule with and with out the seo of the pool. The difference in the volume calc's is the excavated volume.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Barry Kelly
Dave wrote:
Create a schedule for the mesh and calculate "Net Volume", you will have to run the schedule with and with out the seo of the pool. The difference in the volume calc's is the excavated volume.

Just create a duplicate of the mesh without the SEO so you can calculate both at the same time and you don't affect the existing mesh SEO.

It is a bit of a pain the a 'Net Volume' works for a mesh, but there is no such thing as 'Gross Volume' for a mesh (or 'Conditional Volume' either).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Scott Bulmer
Booster
It worked~! Thank you both for your suggestions, As recommended I used duplicate meshes with and without the SEO calculated in a mesh schedule. That is a very handy grading calc technique. Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Understood that issue is solved...
But there is yet another option
(if you are on an ARCHIPLUS subscription).
Download the "Terrian Tool".

Full discloser... I've never tried it.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Thanks Marc. Also, I just learned that the opening tool in AC23 when placed into meshes can yield the volume of the hole or excavation volume. Very useful. See the attached screenshot. Scott
rjwilden
Booster
Im not certain this is measuring the volume of the excavation, When I do this, it measures the volume of the opening tool, maybe there is another selection option in the schedule.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Anonymous
Not applicable
i am using Zones in 3d to draw the excavation area and then i use SEO (subtract by upwards extrusion) with the original terrain.
This is working for us so far because we can schedule the excavations easily also the zone comes with a stamp so a lot of info is displayed there.

One question though.
Can i measure the volume of a zone after a SEO?

(please say yes)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for your suggestions !
bouhmidage
Advisor
here is my workflow, to automate the process
you have to duplicate the original terrain , change it's material and ID like shown
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects