BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Grading Calculation - volume of excavation from a mesh

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Greetings, I need to calculate the excavated volume of soil from a mesh as it relates to a swimming pool. The pool is on a sloping mesh as seen in the attached image. For a grading calculation, is there a way to accurately calculate the volume of where the mesh intersects the pool? For the purpose of this discussion the pool can be one large slab. Thanks for any suggestions. Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
@bouhmidage
I use this workflow too. But I think it is too much duplications and SEO's for a simple task.
This is why I propose a SEO: Link/Unlink Operators and Operation. I think this workflow should be achievable at once in the SEO Dialog Box. The thing is that as it is, SEO operations are used just for pure modeling purpose. It has much more potential, as it could be used in the Project/Construction workflow, where its Operations could resemble actual construction operations.
Tim Ball
Expert
I have done this a few times and use a slab

Create the slab to the correct depth and plan area you want
Angle the slab edges to batter the excavation. There are not many soil conditions where you can have vertical sides to a large excavation safely
Intersect the top of the slab to the mesh using SEO
Cut the mesh with the slab using SEO
Convert the resulting slab shape to a morph to fix the shape
Read the mesh morph
Classify and label the morph so you can share the data correctly
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tim wrote:
Intersect the top of the slab to the mesh using SEO
Cut the mesh with the slab using SEO
Convert the resulting slab shape to a morph to fix the shape
Read the mesh morph
Classify and label the morph so you can share the data correctly
That is my point. So much work for a simple task. And with this process I will have to create one Mesh for the Existent Terrain, another for the Proposed Terrain. And in case I change the Proposed Terrain I will have to redo the process of defining the excavation volume. If we could turn On and Off these SEO operations according to the documentation need, I could have just one Terrain Mesh in which I add or subtract geometries according to its visibility. Then a AddedVolume and SubtractedVolume (Similar to NetVolume and GrossVolume) on a schedule would give me the live data grading calculation.
Does this makes sense?
Learn and get certified!