BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Hardware for BIM server

arg617
Contributor
I'm in a position where I might need to set up an office with about 6-8 users and I'm a bit confused with how to handle BIM models.

Within an office environment do we use BIM server, BIM cloud, or just Teamwork on our own server?

Ideally we'd be able to work smoothly within the office as well as offsite.

Does this require a robust server, or is most of the load handled by individual workstations? I was thinking we'd use iMacs as individual workstations and a Mac Mini as a server, but I'm concerned that the Mini might not be powerful enough.

I've looked through some of the info on the Graphisoft site, but I'd really love some real world examples. Thanks for any suggestions.
6 REPLIES 6
rgarand
Booster
I worked in an office for 10 years and we always had the BimServer on a MiniMac...although it was dedicated as the BimServer and nothing else. Right now we have a typical windows box set up in our conference room, which we use for presentations and meetings, as our BimServer...everything runs fine.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
arg617
Contributor
My concern is that Apple no longer offers a 4 core Mini. I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac Pro for this purpose, but hate wasting the dual graphics cards on a server.

I know that Graphisoft states that the BIM Server should be installed on a dedicated machine, but is anyone running it on a machine they also use as a workstation?
rgarand
Booster
We run ours on the conference room desktop. We will have people hitting 2-4 projects at anytime. We have never had a problem, except when someone in the conference room turns off or restarts the server without warning everyone inside and outside the office.
Robert J. Garand
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
arg617
Contributor
rgarand wrote:
We run ours on the conference room desktop. We will have people hitting 2-4 projects at anytime. We have never had a problem, except when someone in the conference room turns off or restarts the server without warning everyone inside and outside the office.
Robert, can you run ArchiCAD on the machine in the conference room while people are accessing BIM Server, or do you run into problems doing that?
rgarand
Booster
We consistently run Archicad/Bimx/photoshop during a meeting, while people are hitting the Bim server, without problems.
Robert J. Garand
schagemann
Enthusiast
We have 30-40 users using the same quad core mac mini with SSD without any problems. I agree that the latest generation mac mini is not ideal, but for an office of that size it will be powerful enough, just ensure you give it enough RAM as this is also no longer user upgradeable. As you state a MacPro is complete overkill... unless used fro something else, but I can not really see how anything but video editing will justify the added cost for its graphics cards.

Also ensure that you have a good offsite backup regime in place, and coordinate that with the default bimserver project backup settings - which are IMHO unnecessary.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Learn and get certified!