Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Help with Google Earth Connections

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everybody,
I'm just emerging from a very frustrating couple of hours trying to connect AC12 with Google Earth, which is supposedly made easy by the Google Earth Connections, until I actually tried to do it.

Of course, being a Mac user, I had to use a Win AC12 installed on a virtual machine, otherwise no connections at all.

So I had to install everything on my virtual machine: a second AC12, a second GE, and finally the Google Earth connections.

When I tried to test it, I managed to easily import an object from the 3D warehouse (a bath tub, yay!!!). But when I tried to actually import the ground information from a random location in GE, AC gave me an error:"There was an error communicating with the Google Earth Application".

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Enrico
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
So... My AC and Google Earth did not want to become friends.
So I tried to bring in SketchUp, I though: it's by Google, so it should have met Mr. GE already, but there was just no way.

So I've uninstalled AC and GE for the 10th time now. I'll re-install AC12, GE, GE Conntections, and Sketchup.

PLEASE: has anyone ever been able to connect GE and AC? Is it doable? Is it just my virtual machine?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've managed to create a placemark in GE with AC, saved it, and merged it in AC.

Now my file has a GE placemark symbol on the ground floor, but still no terrain information or satellite picture.

See attached image of what it looks like now.

If anyone has ever used it, please help!

Thanks a lot!

Enrico
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's a long-standing problem: see

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=16245
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Enrico,

There is no problem with GE, SU and AC communicating properly under Windows.

The problem you are encountering is probably an issue related to your virtual machine (I am 90% sure). If you are using Parallels, for example, you can launch applications belonging to the other operating system from whichever environment you are using. It sounds like you are not getting a 'pure' Windows environment in that both SU and AC are attempting to launch Google Earth on the Mac side.

See the attached screenshot for a Parallels VM configuration. If you are using Fusion, someone else will have to help. Try clearing the checkbox for "Share Mac OS X applications with Windows" and see if that resolves the problem.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I changed the VM settings, however the result remains the same: AC only shows a GE placemark, see attached picture (which I forgot to attach last time).
Anonymous
Not applicable
...attachment
Picture 22.png
Djordje
Ace
Had the same issue ...

... of course when it is a crunch time.

It did work - properly - in ArchiCAD 11.

12 just reports that it cannon communicate with Google Earth. Both 12 INT and GE are updated and current.

I am downloading the AddOn for 13, but doubt it will be different ...

Isn't there anybody to check that the stuff works before it's posted for download? And, BTW - the movies describing the process are still the same old ones from the ArchiCAD 11 times.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Greg A_ Blunier
Contributor
I was trying to get ArchiCAD 13 and Google Earth to work together under Parallels and could import from the 3D Warehouse but not bring in the site from Google Earth.
What finally fixed it for me was installing Google Earth 5.0 (not 5.1). Then I could connect from ArchiCAD 13.
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full and ArchiCAD 7

Windows 10
Djordje
Ace
It is a problem with the plugin and the Google Earth version.

5.0.x works, 5.1.x does not.

Tried in 12 and 13 Int, Windows 32bit.

Neither the plugin says that it works only with Google Earth 5.0.x, nor it states that anywhere on the download site.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen