BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Heritage Roof Lights

Anonymous
Not applicable
How does anyone produce a good example of a heritage or conservation roof light? The ones in A22 library are good but can't be made to sit flush with the roof as they should in historic buildings. Nor can the frame be made narrower.

I am unable to locate a good IFC model of a conservation roof light, and I must admit that this lack of manufacturers objects is the only frustrating feature of Archicad. It’s clear that most manufacturers such as Velux use Revit as their standard, and the RFA files aren’t editable, nor can they be easily placed on a pitched roof because they don’t import as roof light.

How do other people solve this without advanced skills?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Velux have had an Archicad object for many years, uou can download from:
https://www.bimobject.com/en/product?brand=velux&filetype=6

Regards,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Scott
There isn't a conservation roof light on this page, but it's true that Velux do have one. Unfortunately they only offer it in RFA format, which is strange given that all the other roof lights are in IFC. I must admit that I wasn't aware that they did IFC at all, because I went straight to the conservation version and found that it was RFA only.
So I'm still stuck. As a crude workaround I managed to convert the A22 rooflight to a morph and dragged it flush with the slate roof, but it now protrudes below the internal ceiling line, and my Archicad skills aren't yet up to trimming it properly internally. But at least the elevations and external views look better. But still not right because the flashings aren't traditionally correct and the frames are too wide. The heritage version has narrower frames.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And also Scott......I can't seem to open these Velux IFC files. I notice that they are named as .icf, but even when I change the suffix they won't open. Laszio advised me before to test IFC files using Solibri Viewer, and these Velux files won't open in that either. Seems unlikely that a firm as big as Velux would get this wrong, but I can't find another answer.
Barry Kelly
I don’t see any IFC downloads in the link Scott posted.
I see Archicad, Revit and some for Sketchup as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Barry the links are described as for Archicad, but when you download one it turns out to be an IFC file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The files are an ArchiCAD library file (.lcf) not an ifc file, you need to add this library through the library manager

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh my....that explains a lot. I've seen another of those files and thought someone had made a mistake with the suffix. Many thanks for that.
I'll try this. Not sure just how you do the import with Library Manager but I'm sure it's well documented.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But unfortunately the Velux conservation rooflight is only in RFA format
Barry Kelly
gabalco wrote:
Not sure just how you do the import with Library Manager but I'm sure it's well documented.
Just copy the LCF (Library Container File) to your loaded library (and then re-load inthe Library manager) or ADD it as a separate library in the Library manager (I think it will then end up in the embedded library).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!