BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

How do default Classifications get assigned?

Somehow, this issue is eluding me. When I open a new template file in AC22, Classifications appear to be preassigned to just about everything. I place any door, and it's already been preassigned the "Door" classification, along with the appropriate properties. Good.

Now, I open an older file, and there are no Classifications assigned to any door. I can import a classification scheme (along with a property scheme) and assign a "door" classification, but I have to do this explicitly for every object.

Where do these default classification assignments come from, and can I get these to be applied to an older file with an imported classification scheme, so I don't have to do this for individual entities?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
I got it to work in the Default Tool icons! (It didn't stick the first time, so I was confused.) Thanks, Barry!

If anyone else is having this issue, just double click a tool icon to get the default dialog box. You can set a classification there which should stay unless you change it for individual items, or reset it.
Richard

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Use the Classification Manager to tag element types you want to assign classifications to. Then you can create rules in the Property Manager to add the metadata to the elements and objects.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Thanks, Aaron, but this wasn't really my question. If I open any AC12 file in AC22, the Classification system says "ARCHICAD Classification - 20." Doors are classed as "Door", windows are classed as "Window", walls are classed as "Wall", slabs are classed as "Slab", etc.

I have another similar older file, that the "ARCHICAD Classification - 20" was deleted from, and another Classification System was put in its place. In this case, I copied the earlier Classification system and relabeled it and edited a few things. Here, everything now shows as "Unclassified" and I have to assign everything manually. This is true even if I import the classification system from the AC22 default template.

I am trying to understand why the first example "knows" what type of entity is being classified out of the box, and the second does not. Hope that's clear.
Richard
sorry Richard, my bad. The first USA 21 template file had a 20 Classification system. A later hot fix included the AC Classification system for w21 and I had to manually go through the list and reassign classifications for them. I assume the process would be similar for files created in older versions.

Haven't tried migrating anything yet, but hope that the migration will include a re-mapping from 21 to 22.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
My example of using a file from AC12 was not a typo. This is a file that was created years ago, long before the classification system was in place. Somehow, AC is able to correctly assign classifications to this very old file, although if opened in AC22 they are labeled as being from the AC20 classification system. However, the blank AC22 template file is able to automatically assign correct classifications as being in the "ARCHICAD Classification - 22" system. Automatic assignments do not seem to be made by AC for any other classification system. It is all a big mystery to me where these assignments are coming from.
Richard
ricki-fritz
Booster
Not sure if this is exactly the same scenario, but I had a file where the default "Archicad Classification - 22" classification was not available in the "Classification & Properties" Tab.

I opened a new AC 22 file and saved as a blank file.

Then in the working file, go to:
File - Interoperability - Classification & Properties - Import BIM Content (select the blank file) and the classification system is available for selection/assignment in your model

Unfortunately, this doesn't automatically assign the correct type to the building elements (ie:Door), which was your original query - doesn't look like it's possible (

As a note: For doors & windows assigning a classification would be straight-forward, but for other elements, such as slabs (which could be structural slabs, finishes, ceilings, etc.), this would be more problematic (unless there was a way to map classification via Layers...?)
Graphisoft Certified ArchiCAD BIM Manager

ArchiCAD 27

Windows 11
Barry Kelly
You can set up the classifications and assign properties to automatically be associated with each classification.

However (as far as I know) you can not automatically assign a classification to each element.

You can however set a default classification for your tool, so as you place new elements they are already classified.
You can also set you favourites to add the correct classification.

To add classifications to each existing element does not mean you have to do it to each one at a time.
You can select multiple elements or all elements (of the same type of course) and assign a classification.

You can even set up Find & Select criteria to select for example, all walls with no classification.
And set up Graphic Overrides so you can do a bit of Quality Assurance to visually see what has or hasn't been assigned a particular classification.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry wrote:

You can however set a default classification for your tool, so as you place new elements they are already classified.
Barry, I think this is what I am looking for. But I can't find where to do this. Could you point me in the right direction?
Richard
Solution
I got it to work in the Default Tool icons! (It didn't stick the first time, so I was confused.) Thanks, Barry!

If anyone else is having this issue, just double click a tool icon to get the default dialog box. You can set a classification there which should stay unless you change it for individual items, or reset it.
Richard
Barry Kelly
If you do need different classifications for the same tool, then this is when you need to start setting up favourites.
But in version 22 make sure you use a favourite transfer setting that includes the classification.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!