Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

How-to NOT calculate openings (but still windows and doors) in zones?

dominicus
Contributor
Hi,
I want to calculate the doors and wondows BUT NOT the openings
Is there a way to calculate doors and wondows BUT NOT the openings?

I have tried to classify them differently but it doesn't help
I have been using AC since version 5 and use AC for almost every phase in the planning/building process and very much calculations and it's a big intrest of mine to automate everthing as much as possible.

Thanks

Dominicus
db-architects ltd
Dominicus Björkstam
Finland

AC 24 latest build, localized FIN version
Hardware MacbookPro 15" i9 + 32GB Ram + Windows Desktop (win10)
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I assume you are talking about scheduling doors and windows.
And by openings I assume you mean empty doors and windows and not the new opening tool.

As the empty doors and windows are actually still door and window objects, you will have to differentiate them from the other doors and windows.
If they are actually separate objects then you can filter them in the schedule criteria by object name.

Otherwise you can do similar filtering in the criteria but by using the Element ID.
So long as you empty openings have something unique in the ID that will allow you to filter them.
i.e. change their IDs to "dont_schedule" and in the schedule criteria you set it to ... Element ID - Does not contain - dont_schedule.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
dominicus
Contributor
Thanks Barry

Actually this is a normal filtering and listing process but what I'm looking for is the built into Zones ability to list all windows and doors (how many there are in the zone) but it doesn't seem to differentiate between opening and doors/windows and I was wondering if there is a possibility to code this into the zonebehaviour or similar.
Otherwise it would be a case for future development to be able to like walls and other contruction elements choose to make this affected/not affect zones with a simple "tik" in the elements setting.

Hope you get what I'm aiming for 🙂

Thanks for taking time to answer my topic,

Dominicus
db-architects ltd
Dominicus Björkstam
Finland

Barry Kelly
If you are getting this info in the zone stamp, then I don't think there is much you can do.
From what I can see the zone stamps look for "ROOM_DOORS_SURF" and "ROOM_WINDS_SURF" so it does not distinguish in any way an empty window or door object from a real window or door - it is just looking for door and window objects.

All I can suggest if you are using 23 or later is to use the new Opening tool for openings - then it will not be treated as a door or window by the zone.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
dominicus
Contributor
Thanks Barry for the suggestion about the opening tool. 🙂
I hadn't thought about that

Take care,

Dominicus
db-architects ltd
Dominicus Björkstam
Finland