BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

How to convert archicad file into 3ds max?

Anonymous
Not applicable
HI,

Anyone know how to convert archicad file into 3ds max file.
I tried to save archicad file as 3dStudio file, but when i opened in 3DS max design, the material does not bring in together with object.
All the object is group together & it can not be ungroup in 3ds max, eventhough i had give all the object in different materials in archicad.

thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

You can export your AC 3D model as .3ds or wavefront .obj file, and your right after the export you will have joined objects (depending on materials you used in AC), but in 3DS Max you can detach any face/polygon or element you wish and give them the material you want.
If you want to make good renderings you will need to remap them all in max using UVW mapping or another method.

Best regards, Ede
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ede,

Thanks for the advice.

when i try to export to 3ds max design the model comes up tiny scale, ive tried the tip on setting the one unit to 1000 when exporting but it has a tiny effect and its still tiny.

That however isnt a major issue i just scale the model up in 3ds, the real problem is materials, ive applied a load of them in archicad and in 3ds they just come out as base colour, no textures.

Ive played around with the export options but carnt find a way to

A. export to the right scale
B. Export the model in such a way that materials are saved and can be rendered in max.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Srinivas
Booster
Did you get a chance to have a look at this Wiki Article on how to export, it should solve your scaling problem as well.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/3DStudioMaxTips#Exporting_3D_Studio_Files_from_ArchiCAD
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Hazel,

First of all you have to set the units to meters in 3ds Max under: Customize/Units setup

Display unit scale: Metric/Meters
System unit setup: 1 units = 1 meters

When you export from AC as .3ds file you have to check the Construct 3d objects according to: materials , drawing units to 1000 mm, write out AC texture information and object = group name (7 characters)

If you've done this there can't be any problem with the model scale, about the mapping I keep my opinion with the remapping

Best regards, Ede
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Srinivas & Ede,

Ede, i do according to ur instruction, but the 3d model scale is still small, but is better then last time, now i just scroll few time to enlarge the 3D model will be ok.
and now when i apply the material into 3D model it will apply by material i had set in Archicad, not like last time when i apply material to 3d model, it changed in few things like wall & furniture together.

Now i got another problem in 3Ds max design, when i merge a outside 3d model like plants, vase... the mapping doesn't come together with the 3D model & the whole 3d model i merged in is in grey colour. Do you know how to solve it?

Haha! i know not so good talk about 3ds max problems in Archicad forum.
Do u know any 3ds max forum website can discuss about 3ds max.

Thanks.
Learn and get certified!