Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

How to get Master Layout name as autotext

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, with every new update I look for the possibility to retrieve the name of the used master layout as autotext on different layouts. I have also asked our local support service (Norway), but no luck.
I have made our office specific title block as a gdl-object, with text (mostly autotext) and lines, and then added the block to different master layouts (A1, A2, A3, A4, landscape and portrait). When we publish PDFs, the client sometimes prints A1 or A2 as A3 or A4, and this makes the scale wrong. Thus it would be nice to include the name of the master layout as autotext in our title block-object, to avoid any confusion. Is there a code to retrieve this? Everything else seems available, so maybe it's even possible to include this in a new build?

Regards
David
www.meter-as.no
17 REPLIES 17
Barry Kelly
I don't see any auto text for master name or page size.
There is layout name, so you could use that and incorporate the page size in the layout name (has to be typed manually in the name).
The layout name could then be added to your tile block.

I actually organise my layouts in sets in groups relating to page size.
The parent folder has the page size as part of its name.
The individual layouts in that folder also have the page size as part of their name.

Because the layouts are in folders, I just create a 'shortcut' for the publisher set.
That way if I add new pages to the layout (or delete some), the publisher set updates automatically.
Whether I then publish the entire set or just individual pages, the page size will be included in the name of the published PDF.

Also should any layouts be moved in the layout list, you know exactly where they should be based on the name.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Barry
I know it is possible to get the "Subset Name" as autotext, but we use an intricate system for the layout numbers, and they are usually derived from a sequence depending on the number of the subset (poorly explained, sorry...) - so that option is "taken".
I have noticed that it is possible to list the master layout name in the Project Index schedules. So obviously there must be a code that retrieves this, but I am not competent enough to know how to get this..

Regards
David
Barry Kelly
DavidGulbrandsen wrote:
I have noticed that it is possible to list the master layout name in the Project Index schedules. So obviously there must be a code that retrieves this, but I am not competent enough to know how to get this..

That seems to be a field unique to the project indexes.
I can't see that it has any autotext equivalent.

i.e for the autotext of #Layout Name you can simply type standard text of <LAYOUTNAME> and it will convert to the autotext.
<LAYOUTNAME> is the GDL equivalent of the autotext - i.e. if you save autotext as an object.

I have tried all variations of <MASTERNAME>, <MASTERLAYOUT>, <MASTERLAYOUTNAME> etc., but nothing works.
I think just because there is not autotext for master layout name.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also tried several versions of <PLEASE GIVE ME MASTER LAYOUT NAME!> to see if it popped up 😄

I also saved an XML version of the index to my desktop, opened it in a text editor to look for some code or a <POSSIBLY RELEVANT TEXT> string. I only found <Caption>Master Layout</Caption> and <Parameter_Desc_Name>Master Layout</Parameter_Desc_Name>. Neither works, of course..

Thanks anyway, Barry. It's obviously easy to just put a normal text saying "original format: A2" on the A2 master item itself. Will have to do for now!

David

Thats how we deal with the problem too. But it is not very good solution as this needs to be updated every time new master layout gets created, I would love if master layouts would have ability to add clasification to them and that could then be listed on the layout.

From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7

Thanks, Jan, totally agree. Any idea how to get the developers on line, it can't be too difficult to fix?

Regards

David

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

Mac Studio (2022) - Apple M1 Ultra
macOS Monterey 12.4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can make a wish for these features, we can vote on it and if it gets enough support, we can submit it to GRAPHISOFT for consideration.

If there are multiple wishes, please create separate topics for each.

If you do make wishes, please post their links in this thread.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Nagy.

I didn't quite understand how to gain the support needed, but I realize the "Collaborate Forum" might be the wrong place to add this wish.

Some years back I made the same wish:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Auto-text-calling-master-layout-name/td-p/171128

I think this one was in the right forum, but not too much response that time.

I also found the same wish from another user here: 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Paper-Size-as-Autotext/m-p/305594#M18703

Should I repost this wish/request in the Wishes Forum?

AC since 2002

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

Mac Studio (2022) - Apple M1 Ultra
macOS Monterey 12.4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Now, the links to those wishes are here in this thread so I do not think there is a need for a new wish. People can click the links and Like them. Until the new Wishes/Ideas function is implemented, Likes are how we vote for wishes in the new Community.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27