Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

How to reduce time for log in / open teamwork files everyday

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

We're working on a project with about 12 people in team. Every morning we open teamwork file at the same time and it's very easy to crash out. Then we have to open file one by one (it's stop crashing). But it's take much time for that job every day with 12 people and I'm looking for a better solution.

Any of you had similar issue? Could you provide some ideas for that
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
It sounds like you must have signed out of the project the prior night? Graphisoft recommends staying signed in until you actually stop working on the project. Just be sure to send/receive changes before leaving for the day, but stay signed in.

What are others doing in practice?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dennis Lee
Booster
Yeah, we have 4 people, we almost never LEAVE the teamwork project. Just send / receive, and release all before closing.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Stress Co_
Advisor
Karl wrote:
Graphisoft recommends staying signed in until you actually stop working on the project.
Read it HERE
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Yes I didn't leave & re-join the project, just close / open everyday. But we're 2 team in different countries working on the same teamwork file. Our model take 10-15' to open everytime. It's mean ~2h everyday for opening files. As I said, the main issue in our project is many people open file at the same time will cause crash & error in local data-> re-join again

One solution we thinking about is leave at least 2 or 3 computers stay through nights everyday. However we're looking for somthing better!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Any further advise? Please!

How others doing in practice? Did you take much time for opening file every morning with many people in a big model?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd look at trying to reduce file size to improve the opening speed as another tactic. I don't know how the file/s are set up at the moment, but you could look at splitting your project into 2 files - model file and file for your layouts. Also: reducing the polycount should help, minimising sections and elevations in the project, and reducing the amount of drawings (like dwgs from consultants for example) in the project file.

hope that helps...?
Dennis Lee
Booster
What are your Bim server specs? Is it on a dedicated machine? Processor? Ram?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
I'd look at trying to reduce file size to improve the opening speed as another tactic. I don't know how the file/s are set up at the moment, but you could look at splitting your project into 2 files - model file and file for your layouts. Also: reducing the polycount should help, minimising sections and elevations in the project, and reducing the amount of drawings (like dwgs from consultants for example) in the project file.

hope that helps...?
Hi Mark,

Yes we did. We even split into 3 files, 1 for model, 1 for views, 1 one layouts. We re-shared model regularly when the model get too big (>2gb) & it's helped!

Beside, we're just client of BIM Server, connect to it from another country. Out IT checked connections and actually it's a bit slower at our end.

Another thing is we integrated Structure (steelwork) & MEP (from Revit) into our model so probably that's why the model was big.

@ Lee: I didn't remember Bim server spec. But it's a separated server for Bim projects & it's probably powerful enough for using (unless they store too many big projects there).

I'm still looking for ways to reduce time for opening files (as I said above) or need to find the ways to fix the crashing when more than 1 people open the same teamwork files at the same time!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
When they say stay signed in I believe the mean - don't switch off your machine. At least that is what we have started doing. We switch off monitors and walk out. Not the most environmental solution but it saves the 10-15min opening up/logging in in the morning.
On conserving file size - we work on some medium sized projects ($20-$40m aud) and file sizes have become an issue from time to time. Generally I have found if your file is over 400meg its time to look into trimming the fat.
Before separating layouts into a separate file (connected by views published to .pmk is still the best strategy so far - for this for update times) and losing all your automatic tagging, have a look at your embedded library.
I have found this to be a big culprit on many occasions. In particular in 12-13-14 where having the IFC 2x3 plugin enabled when saving out a custom object caused a modest facade object, normally less than 1 meg to be almost 100 meg large!
Export your embedded library from the library manager and have a look at the folder by file size. Then check the number of placed instances in the library manager etc and begin weeding!

The last time i did this my 800meg monster was reduced to a svelte 314 meg.

good luck