Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Huge BIM model

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does any one has a suggestion for PCs which can handle a 140,000 sq.me
BIM model ?! do I have to use a Farm ?!
I previously have some experiences with up 20,000 sq.m BIM model !!!
I am not sure if Achicad can manage as much as hardware as hardware which is provided for a BIM model ! for example, A dual Graphic CARD !!

Best,
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
The physical size of your model does not matter (well, as long as it is smaller than some dozens of km... AC has problems modeling entire cities because of distances from the origin)...

...what matters is how many polygons are in the model. If your 140,000 m2 model is an extremely ornate baroque building with lots or ornamentation that must be modeled in 3D, then it will have problems. If it is a shopping center or office complex, then probably not an issue.

There are people here who have modeled really large projects who I hope will jump in with their experience.

ArchiCAD cannot use dual graphics cards unless there is something new in AC 18 for that.

ArchiCAD cannot use any kind of farm per se... that is, a farm of computers that you, yourself, utilize as you work on a model. It can, however, use a global distributed network of other users working on the same model at once (TeamWork) to get many people working on the same model at the same time in order to get a project completed faster.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you .. for your useful information ...
The thing that I want to ask the ones who did such big project is that ... Up to what scale did they keep their drawings LIVE ???
... As I had an experience in which I kept all my drawings LIVE up to 1/50 ... But it was about a 14,000 sq.m.
The team work things is great ...but but at last .... we have to use one server ... I hope in the next ARCHIAD s we can use the Farm ... for our modeling ...

But, Do you Know what is the Archicad's problem with long distance ?! I mean why calculating from the origin is so time consuming for Archicad ?!

Best,
schagemann
Enthusiast
another performance hog is the layout book - presumably all your actual drawing sheets are within the same TW file?

we typically export them as PMKs via publisher, which then get placed into a separate TW file which only contains drawings nothing else... there are various discussions regarding this process incl. more detail on this forum already - have a look around.

regarding rendering I would recommend you have a look at either maxwell or Cinema4D which both have very potent network render capabilities.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If the project is so large that teamwork is not up to it - look at breaking the building into subgroups via hotlinks.

Eg the detail of each floor in separate file. Only certain layers of this file are then published as a mod file which are hotlinked into the main building file.
These other files can be standalone or teamworked as well, allowing even more staffing flexibility.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guys ... !!!
I will implement the ideas !!! wish ... some days we can model the hole building, no matter of size , in one single file .

best,