BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

I can't open a DWG file in Arch 18 education version

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to be able to trace from a plan drawing made in DWG. I don't have any other program to open the dwg file on my mac. All i have managed to see from the dwgfile is the scale ruler in the bottom corner.
help
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe it was in Paperspace in Autocad which is translated into a Layout in ARCHICAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok! i didn't make the dwgfile in Autocad and don't have the program yet. but i will have it soon and i hope i will be able to resave it perhaps.

i tried downloading a dwg viewer to open the file but all i could see then was a row of text from the document. when i browse to open the dwg file and see it in preview mode in the browsing window i can see its full of coulours and lines so its obviously full of information which i haven't been able to open.
Skärmavbild 2015-06-12 kl. 08.40.39.png
rgarand
Booster
The dwg is looking for an XREF file and can not find it. You will have to open the dwg and relink the XREF file, then update the dwg within your drawing manager.

If you do NOT have this particular XREF file, you will need to get it from whoever sent the original dwg. Have them send you an etransmit file, this will ensure that you get everything from the original file, i.e. fonts, XREF files, etc.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
rgarand
Booster
...actually I think it is looking for 2 dwg XREF files.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Learn and get certified!