BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Data exchange with Revit

bouhmidage
Advisor
Hi Guys, i'm using ArchiCAD in a revit environnment, so the data exchange solution would be IFC format,
exchange would be with Revit MEP, Revit structure, and sometimes Revit Architecture, also ROBOT and Tekla.
I read topics here, and some users talk about the data loss when using IFC, my questions are :
* Loosing Data is while importing in archicad or exporting from it ?
* What means data loss exactly ?, and which part of the project are affected ? ( building materials, construction elements propreties etc ? )
* is there any corrupted or missed geometry while exchange ?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
2 REPLIES 2
bouhmidage wrote:
* Loosing Data is while importing in archicad or exporting from it ?
Exporting an ifc is choosing what is exported and therefore a voluntary* loss is made. So the question is how are the data exported from Archicad AND how are the same data imported into Revit?

*Your collaborator do not need all informations project so you are able to export a better and lighter IFC.
bouhmidage wrote:
* What means data loss exactly ?, and which part of the project are affected ? ( building materials, construction elements propreties etc ? )
IFC has volume and informative informations. According to the export translator used with Archicad AND the import translator used in revit. The selected data are more or less well processed. All part of the project can be affected.
bouhmidage wrote:
* is there any corrupted or missed geometry while exchange ?
Geometry is one of IFC parameters you have to check before export and import an IFC.

Of course you have to check all your element classifications before.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
bouhmidage
Advisor
Thank you for your detaillled answer,
I'll install revit as trial, and try to export and import by myself to get famiiar with the process and explore more this field
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Learn and get certified!