Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC-Export: correct surface area of walls including openings not shown in components

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Graphisoft-Team,

Im encountering the following problem:

Im exporting an IFC-Model to a AVA-Software (BuildUp) for Area calculations.

If I chose a Wall-Element in my IFC Viewer (FZK Viewer) or in the AVA-Software, I can select the "Conditional Surface Area on the Outside Face (See screenshot attached). This will give me the exact Value of the Walls including the subtration of the openings, as defined in AC22 ("Options > Project Preferences > Calculation Units & Rules Dialog, then Calculation Rules Dialog (“Reduce Wall surface by…”"). This is important for the calculation of surface areas in Germany ("VOB"-Rules)

Since I have a multi-layered wall, I need that value for each layer (e.g. Plaster Inside, Brickwork, Plaster Outside). Otherwise the calculation is not 100% correct.

If I try to choose the individual layer, it wouldnt show that particular dataset, but a lot less.
I guess, that has got something to do with the settings of the IFC-Export-Translator, or am I wrong?

Is it possible to export this dataset with the indivudual components of the wall as well?

Regards,
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You could try one setting. I have not tried it myself, but it might work.
In the "IFC Translators" Dialog, activate the "Geometry Conversion Settings" Subdialog, and check the "Explode Composite and Complex Profile elements into parts" checkbox.
The see if this achieve what you are trying to do.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply, but this doesnt work, I already had the checkbox activated, otherwise I wouldnt have the individual layers in my IFC-Modell at all.

Im not quite sure about this, but how are you supposed to measure areas and surfaces correctly, if you have a multi-layered wall?

Regards
felcunha
Expert
Maybe you should use the expressions and map them into a pset ?
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

thanks for that proposal.
Could you explain your approach a little bit further?

Would I have to work with the GDL-Objects itsself?

Or do I rather have to tell archicad to map those individual values into a pset of the layer?
If so, how do I do that? Im sorry, but I dont have any experiences with doing this.