Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC FILE - GRAPHIC OVERRIDES

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
I have a problem with graphic overrides when I'm importing an Ifc file as a hotlink.
When I would like to create a graphic override rule for these new ifc elements I don't see their ifc properties.
I know that I can use "Search and find" tool and change their materials but I don't think that's a solution.
Maybe is somehow a possibility to export Ifc properties to native properties of Archicad?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions .
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Which ARCHICAD version are you using? The answer very much depends on the ARCHICAD version. From your question I suppose you are using ARCHICAD 21, but let's be sure.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly, this is Archicad 21.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, I remembered incorrectly, I though there is a difference between AC20 and AC21 in this regard because there were some big changes in the organization of the IFC Translators Dialog in AC21.
So, the fact is that IFC Properties are not available as criteria in the Override Rules Dialog so you cannot override elements based on their IFC Properties. I think this was a conscious decision on the part of GRAPHISOFT because they introduced element Properties in AC20, so users should create custom element Properties instead of custom IFC Properties- the way it was done in versions prior to AC20.

As far as conversion of IFC Properties to element Properties is concerned, this is not possible at the moment during IFC Import. Interestingly, such Property Mapping is available for IFC Export so in the IFC Translators Dialog you can specify which ARCHICAD element Property should be converted to which IFC Property during IFC Export.
What you would need is a corresponding functionality during IFC IMPORT. Unfortunately, this is currently not available. Hopefully GRAPHISOFT will implement it in a future version. I do not see a technological reason why it could not be implemented (as it is already available for IFC Export), so let us hope it will happen soon as I agree it would be an important addition to the IFC Exchange feature set.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much. Let's hope that will change soon.
Kind regards,
Magda
Anonymous
Not applicable
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61240&p=282014#p282014
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! I think there's a hope for AC22. Link below: https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-22/22-reasons-import-of-ifc-properties