BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC Material Mapping

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Greetings - I am testing AC13's IFC 2x3 export capabilities and have come across a couple issues I would like confirmation on if possible.

A site mesh was created using solid element operations to modify the surface. When that mesh is exported (saved as) using IFC 2x3, the mesh loses the SEO modifications. As a work around, we created an object of the modified mesh that uses its own materials. The created mesh object correctly displays the materials in the source file. When that object is exported using the IFC 2x3 and re-opened in AC13, the object loses all assigned materials and has a single black material created in the IFC export process.

I have tried various export settings without luck. Also, the IFC XML 2X3 returns the message 'cannot export file' when attempting the export.

So I just need to confirm the following regarding the IFC export process: 1) complex profiles go haywire when translated, 2) SEOs do not export and 3) created objects do not maintain their material assignments.

Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
Scott,
XML files, including IFCxml are typically for exporting to analysis programs such ecotect etc. They don't include all the project geometry. Stick to the IFC.

If you read through the IFC pdf you will see that meshes don't retain SEO relationships. They also recommend saving the mesh as a library part. You can still save it out in IFC choosing the Mesh or Site & Mesh options and then either the BREP or Geometry options. These settings affect the way other elements are translated so check the whole model.

As you noticed, the round trip comes back with the top surface material on all sides. On the plus side the mesh was converted to a library part .
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Erika - Great, thanks for the confirming reply and additional info! In your experience, is it also true that the complex profiles are or can be an issue as well? Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Yes, sometimes CP you have to make 2 of each so that you can draw them going different directions. They show up not where you want them when you round-trip.

Or are you experiencing some other problem with them?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Scott Bulmer
Booster
No, you stated it exactly. I hope this gets worked out in the near future as data exchange is and becoming more a big issue. Thanks again for your VPKB (vast personal knowledge base). Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also be aware that the niche doesn't work with IFC. comes through as a complete opening in the wall.
Learn and get certified!