Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

IFC Properties search criteria option is unavailable in Find and Select for Zones

Johnsly
Contributor

I would like to select multiple zones which have the same Name (Attribute). I am faced with a challenge in wanting to find and select zones with the same Name (Attribute) because the IFC Properties option is "greyed out." Please help...

AC24, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz, 16400MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

IFC greyed out.jpg
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Miha_M
Advisor

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying here. You want to select multiple Zones with some kind of the same IFC tag? I have been told all IFC entities are created upon set Archicad Element Properties, which are through Archicad Classifications v 2.0 translated into correct IFC pSet entities. All IFC designations are for correct data exchange between disciplines. This is how I use Archicad. I don't set any IFC attributes manually.

The Name (Attribute) field gets populated with the same value you set for the Zone Number. Maybe you should try find&select for a Zone Number.

Miha_M_0-1648817950149.png

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

What you can add as criteria is dependent on element type. Not sure why IFC Properties can't be added for zones. However, you can start with it set to all types, add IFC name attribute and then set the type to zone.

Perhaps something to look into? @Minh Nguyen 

Solution
Miha_M
Advisor

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying here. You want to select multiple Zones with some kind of the same IFC tag? I have been told all IFC entities are created upon set Archicad Element Properties, which are through Archicad Classifications v 2.0 translated into correct IFC pSet entities. All IFC designations are for correct data exchange between disciplines. This is how I use Archicad. I don't set any IFC attributes manually.

The Name (Attribute) field gets populated with the same value you set for the Zone Number. Maybe you should try find&select for a Zone Number.

Miha_M_0-1648817950149.png

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

daviddelven
Advocate

Hello, 

For some particular reason (lack of mapping implementation?) there is no option to map new custom values to IfcZone rooted attributes. The only way is what @Miha_M suggested you, meaning using the predefined mapping within Archicad, the same way there is a predefined mapping also for Type and Type Name (IFC Type Product). But the difference with the last one is that you are able to map custom values to any IfcBuildingElement subtype. 

Maybe @Minh Nguyen or others can help. 

Captura de pantalla 2022-04-01 172348.png

David Delgado Vendrell

http://www.daviddelgado.cat
i7-7820HK CPU 2,90GHz 32GB RAM
Triple Monitor 17"+25"+32" Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
SSD+HDD, Win10 Home - 64 ENG
AC18-AC26 INT/SPA (64-bit, latest build)
Surfing with Archicad since 2013

Yes, for a Zone Element Created in AC the Name Attribute is mapped to Zone Number so given that Name is unedited for the elements then you can search for Zone Number instead.

But what if it is edited or you want to search based on some other IFC property?

It is rather strange that IFC attributes/properties can't be added as criteria if the element type is set to Zone. Especially as it can be forced by adding the IFC attribute/property first (with element type set to all) and then change it to Zone.

thesleepofreason_0-1648829538656.png

Indeed. IfcZone is a subtype of IfcGroup and IfcSystem, and its main purpose is grouping IfcSpace (AC Zones or Revit Room or Revit MEP Zone, etc...etc...).

But that should not be a problem for mapping the Attribute name. Since all of them come from IfcRoot, they inherit the Name Attribute, therefore.... why should not be able to map a custom value to them? The same way we are doing to any occurrence of IfcBuildingElement or IfcDistributionElement. 

David Delgado Vendrell

http://www.daviddelgado.cat
i7-7820HK CPU 2,90GHz 32GB RAM
Triple Monitor 17"+25"+32" Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
SSD+HDD, Win10 Home - 64 ENG
AC18-AC26 INT/SPA (64-bit, latest build)
Surfing with Archicad since 2013

It's beside the question which was about F&S and not mapping. But what would you map to? Although I wish (should actually write it down) it had - AC lacks corresponding entities.

Thank you, excellent tip, I wasn't aware of the relationship between Archicad element and IFC properties. Changing to Zone No. solves the problem, thanks.