BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC & layers'priority

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody !

First of all, please excuse me for the language mistakes I'm probably going to make since I'm French and quite not sure of my English.
I'm a future engineer who is doing an internship in a building company in order to study the IFC format and his possible applications in work methods.

To have a work file, I've drawn with AC13 four exterior walls, one interior wall which separates my interior space in two rooms, and a basic slab.
I've set the priority of the unique layer of the interior wall to a specific value so that the latter stops at the border between the isolating layer and the concrete layer of the exterior walls.

I've exported the whole thing in IFC2x3 with all the Property Sets activated, and the Extended Properties activated (so an AC13 PSet is added to have a better reimport). The trouble is when I reimport the .ifc file, the interior wall stops at the intersection with the exterior wall, which is not what I want. Have I done something wrong ? Is there a way to be sure that the layers' priorities are effectively exported in the IFC file ?

If I'm not clear enough, please let me know.
Thank you in advance for your help.
1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I asked the IFC guys at GS and this is what I was told:

The IFC schema does not store layer intersection priorities so that is already causing this situation.
Also, saving the extended and custom PSETs have no effect on Wall intersections.
Nevertheless, there may be some errors in the data structure as well so this issue has been forwarded to the developers.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!