BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC export - BREP conversion - SEO not included

Vincent G_
Enthusiast

Hello,

I'm trying to get SEOs showing up on the IFC export I'm providing to consultants (first time I deal with IFC export). I've been reading a few guides such as:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/18/INT/AC18Help/07_Interoperability/07_Interoperability-94.htm
http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IFC-Exchange-Best-Practices.pdf
and have the understanding that the geometry conversion that allows SEO to be exported is the Precise BREP geometry.

For some reason, the SEOs are not exporting.. I ensured that the translator I use is set as BREP, and the view I'm using to export the IFC is set with that one translator. Structure display is set as the Entire model. 

VincentG__0-1632966132839.png

VincentG__1-1632966207462.png

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? 
Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you say you want SEO to show up in IFC, do you mean that you want to have this association between the element participating in the SEO haved into the IFC file so that if you open it in Revit, you could modify or even undo the SEO made in Archicad?

If so, that is not possible, IFC export only saves the exact geometry result of the SEO.

IFC is currently not parametric, I think there are plans to make it so but I think that is still years away.

IFC Reference View actually means that you have this geometry that you export from one program and you just use that as reference in the other program, with no intention to modify that reference geometry. It is there for reference so you can model your own geometry based on that.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Hi Laszlo, thanks for the update. I actually found out that the problem was coming from my module system. I got work files exported floor by floor as mods to a central file. SEOs are lost if the elements are not in the same mod (same story in my case) so the issue was not from the IFC settings at the end.. Took me a while to realize and I forgot to post the result in the forum! 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Cool, thanks for posting back.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!