BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC import geometry unwieldy

Matthew Johnson
Advocate
When importing IFC (from Revit Structure) beams and columns generated from BREP (ie more complex than a flat extrusion) the geometry created either in Morph or Object format is of such a high polygon count that navigating the resultant model is impossible.

Does anyone know of a method to reduce the level of detail in the imported objects and profiles so that the intent (eg steel I beam) is maintained without the massive polygon count being generated?

Would also be useful to know of any methods for rationalising Morphs created from imported objects.
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Matthew, you can either attach a ZIP file to a post (limited size) or give us a link to a file in Dropbox or something similar.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Laszlo,

The attached screen capture shows the differences in polygon count between Solibri and ArchiCAD.

Some members, such as the I beam (running lower right to top left), seem to have a similar number of faces in both programs. Solibri identifies this as a beam.

Other members, such as the CHS struts with end plates, have far more polygons in ArchiCAD.

However, the model in Solibri is navigable with ease and shows no delays whereas navigating the model in ArchiCAD is very slow.

PS: Working on getting a Revit file from the engineer with just a couple of members in it for testing.
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't have a solution so there is not much I can say, besides that you should report this through your local reseller.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,

I have had similar problems with Revit beams, columns and slabs that have cuts being imported as objects rather that beams and columns, with angled bracing being especially problematic.

My solution to the problem is to have a structural model (controlled by me) which I hotlink into the main project file. This file started as an imported file from revit and I went through the file and replaced the imported members that were blocks with beams and columns. When I now receive an updated structural model I reference this into the structural model and make required adjustments where the model differs from my model.

By doing this I have a model that is quick to navigate and section generation times are minimal.

Attached are a couple of views from my current project, I can navigate views in real time and sections and elevations only take a few seconds to regenerate.

Regards,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
As Laszlo has indicated, if the revit export has exported a primitive object with lots of polygon faces, it's difficult to reverse engineer the intelligent object back out from it.

The Revit IFC exporter is openSource, so it might be possible to "improve" the export with a sample object to test with. I've been developing an IFC importer for Revit including IFC4 (http://geometrygym.blogspot.com/search/label/IFC) and I am also trying to get a chance to start working on an independent exporter too.

It should not be necessary to manually substitute objects each time a model is submitted, but certainly in this case (and Scott's by the sound) a higher quality IFC export would go a long way to help this.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
We have another "problem" regarding the plan view of columns coming in (merge ifc) as objects (projection cut as A in attached image). To show the correct plan cut I change the "columnobjects" to morphs and then I can choose cut only (or with overhead), (B in attached image) as projection. Issues like this create the need for 2D dwg for the drawing production.
3D is fine
2013-05-21 13-24-40.jpg
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Learn and get certified!