Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Ifc placed with hotlink has errors in geometry

GOBA
Booster

Hi all!

I tried to place an Ifc using “General import” translator and the geometry is incorrect.

Archicad_IFC_STRUBIM_STEEL.png

Using “Exact geometry” it’s correct, but I would like that architects can see the information, so I would like they use the other translator.

I spoke with SIMBIM (Spain) and they told me they needed the exportation schema, but I don’t have it and I haven’t been able to obtain it from the software company.

I have the Ifc file expecting someone from  Archicad would be able to see what’s happening. I think all the necessary information is in the Ifc file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4qjkas3ihz6t07/E0012_StruBIM%20Steel.ifc?dl=0

Archicad_IFC_STRUBIM_STEEL.png
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10
13 REPLIES 13
Miha_M
Advisor

Translating IFC geometry into parametric objects is probably far more complex then just translating geometry data. Geometry and data are well defined through the ifc format standard, while translation processes which recreate parametric objects are not and probably depend on both software, the exporting and the importing one. I guess the translation process which translates construction elements into native archicad elements (beams, columns, etc.) is the one which wasn't working well here. Now if this is caused by the original software ifc output method or the Archicad import settings I don't know. This question should be addressed to GS.

I didn't try to ativate the Profile Attributes in the following picture. Maybe this would give better results? 

Miha_M_0-1674546256269.png

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

GOBA
Booster

Ok, thanks, that’s not working but I didn’t know that so it’s great.

I think I’m stuck here because in SIMBIM (one of GS distributors in Spain) need information from Cype (software used to create the structural model). I think I’m not going to be able to have that information. I’m gonna try again.

I really appreciate you all participating in this topic! 😄

AC24, Windows 10
Miha_M
Advisor

More info about the IFC import options is available here:

Geometry Conversion for IFC Import (graphisoft.com)

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Thanks!

I finally was able to get the information of the exportation. It’s the zip attached in this site:

https://www.aisc.org/technical-resources/ifc/

I sent it to SIMBIM to study it. Once I have an answer, I’ll let you know.

AC24, Windows 10