Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IfcSpaces unexpectedly embed other objects

_c_
Enthusiast

Hello, whenever we export ifcSpace objects they contain other elements, such as stairs, sanitary, anything touching them. Is it possible to fix this?

See this screenshot, the sanitary, a wall and an opening (from the wall) are embedded into the room.

This is under no condition good in IFC.

_c__0-1672911854944.png

_c_
3 REPLIES 3
_c_
Enthusiast

So, I found it. It seems to be a feature, whereby I cannot imagine any kind of workflow where the resulting IFC is correct: the issue above happens when in the IFC Translator > Data Conversion > IFC Space Containment is on:

_c__0-1672929812851.png

_c_
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I am wondering if the modeling is correct. Can it be that the Wall is a tiny bit inside the Space? In that case, the Doors may also be considered to be within the Space (at least a small part of it).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
_c_
Enthusiast

Hello Lazlo, it might be, nevertheless the behaviour is curious to say the least and it doesn't lead to the expected IFC structure.

I did observe that if even the tiniest intersection between a room and a wall would cause the room to embed the wall. So we had, for example, a parapet wall from the floor above listing into the floor below (and in the room), unregarded the floor assignment.

The floor assignment should take priority.

All openings in the involved walls also move into the room, this is probably due to the nature of Archicad. But please tell me how that makes sense, when the openings of a wall in another room or floor list into a room.

Basically, I gather that this feature is meant to offer a visual alternative to IFC relationships, but the solution is far from optimal. I would strongly suggest to warn clearly the users upon click.

_c_