Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IfcSystem mapping from Revit MEP

owen
Newcomer
hi guys,

I have two questions regarding transfer of MEP Systems from Revit MEP to ArchiCAD via IFC. I know this is an ArchiCAD forum but being an IFC-related question there may be more chance of a helpful outcome here than over the other side of the fence.

Has anyone with experience in Revit MEP '12 or '13 managed to map Revits MEP systems to IfcSystem when exporting to IFC? It may only be possible in 2013 using the new open source exporter:

http://sourceforge.net/p/ifcexporter/tickets/2/

The primary purpose is easier grouping of elements together in Solibri (which supports IfcSystem). These models will also be linked into ArchiCAD for reference, so my second question is are IfcSystems either directly or through translation IfcGroups (which they are a subset of) supported when importing into ArchiCAD - i.e they will appear under the Groups tab in the IFC Manager

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
2 REPLIES 2
owen
Newcomer
OK I have had some success - some Revit MEP Systems have been mapped to IfcSystems and are appearing in Solibri, however there are a couple of issues i'm finding:

1. Not all the systems are coming through, although there are elements with those systems (as Pset_Revit_Mechanical.SystemName) in the IFC file

2. In those systems that did map, not all elements of the Revit systems were assigned to the IfcSystem. e.g in the screenshot attached there are two pipes both with Pset_Revit_Mechanical.SystemName = 'CHWF 34' but only the horizontal has been mapped to the IfcSystem = 'CHWF 34', the adjacent vertical (Pipe.9.108) has not.

I am opening the IFC in AC16 now to see if these transfer as Groups - will post shortly.

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
Nope - no Ifc Groups, although I did not try with the MEP Add-On ...
cheers,

Owen Sharp