BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Imperial units from sql or ODBC instead of metric

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to get results from Sql and/or ODBC to return in Imperial units instead of metric. The plan is drawn in Imperial units. A.K.A. I want feet, not meters.

I know how to use a formula for conversion, but I was hoping that there was a feature that I have overlooked that will do it for me. This would save me some time and eliminate lots of chances for human error.
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
PotentialTech wrote:
Is there a way to get results from Sql and/or ODBC to return in Imperial units instead of metric. The plan is drawn in Imperial units. A.K.A. I want feet, not meters.

I know how to use a formula for conversion, but I was hoping that there was a feature that I have overlooked that will do it for me. This would save me some time and eliminate lots of chances for human error.
No: ArchiCAD stores all information internally in metric. All presentation and input in Imperial is the result of conversions. ODBC and SQL provide you with the raw internal data ... hence metric.

So, you have to do the conversion. Should not cause too much time or error... the conversion function is written one time and is used in your queries and reports (for ODBC). In Access, this is a simple Visual Basic function. I assume FileMaker is similar, but don't have a copy.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I expect to be writing an application that makes lots of calculations and pulls information from lots of different tables at different times. Doing conversions adds a step to each calculation that I make (thus opening the door more chance of errors in my programming)
.. the conversion function is written one time and is used in your queries and reports

Yes, but there will be many places that the conversion will need to be called, and if applied at the wrong time or missed, it could cause errors which are easily overlooked until a large calculation results in an ugly mistake.

For instance, I count the number of doors in a project, but seeing that the result is a number and not looking at the context, I attempt to convert the count into feet. Now my report says that there are about 3x the number of doors that actually exist. This is a simple and easy to spot error, but with the complexity of the task I have accepted and a more abstract final parts list, it is a notable opening for program error.

It makes perfect sense that metric be the native format for ArchiCAD. I didn't really even expect to get automatic conversions (once I thought about it) , but I have learned that it is always worthwhile to ask.

I am embarrassed that I live in a country using such a backward and outdated system, even though the rest of the world has been using metric for 30 years or more.
Karl Ottenstein
PotentialTech wrote:
Yes, but there will be many places that the conversion will need to be called, and if applied at the wrong time or missed, it could cause errors which are easily overlooked until a large calculation results in an ugly mistake.
Such is the nature of programming ... and why good programmers who examine all ramifications in order to produce robust code are not cheap. 😉
I am embarrassed that I live in a country using such a backward and outdated system, even though the rest of the world has been using metric for 30 years or more.
I so agree.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!