BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import GIS data to archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am trying to build a 3D context model of existing and proposed building from GIS data from our city council. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this? There are a number of different formats that I can use to export the data.

I've also considered that I might be able to use Sketchup or rhino/grasshopper as a go between to translate the data into a 3D model if archicad is unable to do.

The data is located here for reference:
https://data.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Property/Development-Activity-Monitor/gh7s-qda8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jake
5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend
Looks like you can download a KML file, which Archicad should be able to read.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks runxel, I'll give that a try and report back.

Cheers, Jake
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok that's not working. If I try to open or merge the file I just get an error saying "Can not open 'file name'.kml"

Any other ideas?
runxel
Legend
There is also a .kmz – same thing but zipped. Try that?

Then there is GeoJson, but that is for 2D data only afaik. You can preview this data at least with https://kepler.gl/demo

For converting GIS data however you need something like QGis (free).
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
JSN
Enthusiast
>>> I've also considered that I might be able to use Sketchup or rhino/grasshopper as a go between to translate the data into a 3D model if archicad is unable to do.

I would go for that option. I did not find your GIS Data but if you do it via Rhino or GH you have a high chance that you get what you fullfills your needs.
Learn and get certified!