BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import Rhino nurbs into Archicad, then add level dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Archicad talk forum!

I ran into an interesting problem for a project I'm working on.
I'm making technical drawings for a nurbs-shaped ceiling.
We've agreed to add a level-dimension all cornerpoints of the lighting fixtures, so ceiling-hangers can be installed at the right height.

The nurbs is modelled in Rhino, and all I've got is native Rhino format.
I know I can export this to .3DS en import in Archicad as an object, but I cannot add level-dimensions to an object, gravity will only accept roofs, slabs & meshes...

So how do I convert this object into a Archicad mesh?

Any ideas?

regards,
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a great challenge.
Here is what I thought up. I would not even call it a workaround, I would rather call it a hack.

So, Gravity works on only Slabs, Roofs, Shells and Meshes. So, in order to be able to dimension those points you would have to have one of these four elements.
It is not possible to convert a GDL Object to any of these elements.

So I thought you could place such elements to any point you want to dimension.
So, here is what to do:
1. Convert the GDL Object to a Morph. The reason for this is that the cursor senses any surface point of a Morph. (Actually, if the cursor senses the surface points of the GDL Object you got from the 3DS file, you don't even need to convert it to Morph).
2. In 3D, create a small Slab. We are going to drag multiple copies of this Slab in 3D to every surface point of the Object you want dimensioned.
3. In 3D, click a corner node on the top surface of the Slab you created and issue the Drag Multiple Copy command.
4. Now, place Slabs at every surface point of the Object (or Morph) you want to dimension. The dragged corner on the top surface of each Slab will be at the desired point. (You need to drag a corner on the TOP of the Slab, because the Level Dimension Tool dimensions the top of Slabs.
5. Now go to the Floor Plan, activate the Level Dimension Tool, activate Gravity to Slab and dimension those dragged Slab corner points.
6. Hide the Slabs to an auxiliary layer.

You will see that the Slabs will not need to be too large because if many Slabs are placed close to each other they will overlap each other and you will be able to dimension only the uppermost.

The attached image shows what I mean.
DimensioningMorphSurfacePoints.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laslo,

thanks for the excellent 'hack'
I'm going to try this and report back!

I found another option:

export nurbs from Rhino to IFC BREP,
import IFC in Archicad -> this will convert complex BREP's to AC morphs.
I am curious which export/import combination will result in the best (smallest) file...

thanks again!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The IFC option is good because then you can skip step 1.

I don't know which option results in what size. You will probably have to test that out yourself with your file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Reporting back...

Export 3DS from Rhino -> 3DS import into Archicad-> convert object to morph works fine.

IFC export from Rhino works fine -> IFC looks OK in IFC-viewer, but Archicad refuses to import objects with no dept (IE, nurbs planes) from IFC. I've tried a few IFC-translator tweaks, but every "non-solid" gets skipped.
rhino.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laslo,

I've found a solution that doesn't need the little slabs, in this topic: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=40005&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20

A 3D-locator object is discussed here which solves the problem of 3D height/position measurement. It works like a charm an can also be exported into an coordinates-spreadsheet!

Marc
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Glad you found a solution for your problem.
related - http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/downloads/interoperability/rhino/Rhino-ArchiCAD%2018%20Con...

https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/interoperability/rhino.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!