Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import Rhino

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to import a rhino model into an archicad drawing,

I export the drawing from Rhino as DXF, but when I "place an external drawing" and select the DXF file, nothing appears except a faint yellow square, outlining where the drawing should be.

Has anyone any experience in exporting rhino shapes? Or a link to a tutorial.

Thanks in advance,

b
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
rhino does 3Ds?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
broady98uk wrote:
I am trying to import a rhino model into an archicad drawing,

This is very interesting question, I'm wondering why isn't there any answer.

As much as I know you cannonot import 3d objects in archicad excapt with special plugins for specific programs like maxonform that is a short version of C4D. Even then, you have the 3D model but no real 2D projections, filled countours only. I hope someone on this forum can tell us how to import 3D dwg objects on easy way.
Dwight wrote:
rhino does 3Ds?
Rhinoceros, or so called Rhino, is a great 3D NURBS modeling program. Its very easy to learn, very visual enviroment, its 2d working enviroment is Autocad like and it doesn't need great hardware resources. So - its teached on many faculties (no architectural faculty could teach students to work in 3D Max, it would take to much time) and this is the computer program with students have their first 3D working experience.

Many ppl keep working in Rhino years after, its used also (parallel with other programs) in Frank Gherys studios.

Its really great low-cost program (was about 800$ at my rhino time), but does performance like a high-cost one, check their web site http://www.rhino3d.com/
stefan
Expert
You can export 3ds files from Rhino. You can import these with the 3D Studio import add-on from the ArchiCAD Goodies website.
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/goodies10/INT.html

In the past, you could also import OBJ-files in ArchiCAD, but that has been left out since a few releases.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Be aware that when you save from rhino3d to 3ds you 'll get a dialogue which converts Rhino solids into meshes so you lose those smooth curved surfaces...

Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
stefan
Expert
You have extensive control inside Rhino to tweak the 3ds-output. You can triangulate the NURBS geometry and have some control over the generated polygonal mesh. ArchiCAD respects smoothing in imported 3ds-files.

And you have a preview when tweaking the export settings (go to advanced controls) so you see which triangles are generated.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stefan, I like your rendering comparison on www.sbuild.com. Great idea.

Same model appear totaly different if rendered by different programs.

It would be interesting to c more of that, for example two models rendered in exterior and interior scene in all programs you listed.

For some of them i didn't even heard about, but you showed they can be very useful.
stefan
Expert
Nikola wrote:
Stefan, I like your rendering comparison on www.sbuild.com. Great idea.

Same model appear totaly different if rendered by different programs.

It would be interesting to c more of that, for example two models rendered in exterior and interior scene in all programs you listed.

For some of them i didn't even heard about, but you showed they can be very useful.
Thank you... I am in the planning stages of renewing this website and use a more dynamic structure, but time, as always, is limited...

I like the suggestion of both an interior and an exterior rendering. It will not be easy to do, though.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Fritz T
Booster
Nikola wrote:
As much as I know you cannonot import 3d objects in archicad excapt with special plugins for specific programs like maxonform that is a short version of C4D. Even then, you have the 3D model but no real 2D projections, filled countours only. I hope someone on this forum can tell us how to import 3D dwg objects on easy way.

I've done this in the past (on AC8.1 I think) when building an urban model containing several buildings created by different offices on a variety of CAD: imported 3d dxf done by opening the 3d dxf or dwg within AC as an AC object and then saving it as a new object. You then place the object in AC, matching levels etc. The downside was that the imported item was not editable, the aspect ratio between z,y&z planes were not retained and had to be adjusted, and original materials got lost. The 2d of this object also did not always match the real footprint of the building model, and was redrawn in a separate layer using 2d tools.
Lack of time prevented me to explore all the possible alternatives to fix this, all of which I'm sure is possible. AC 9 & 10 also seems to support this function though I have not tested it.
Setting the new object's materials to "general" or "whitewash" created interesting and approximately correct shadow effects that served the purpose of the presentation and visualization, any glitches in the model were hidden using trees, lights, people etc. or removed with Photoshop.
AC 6, through 27

iMac 27' 3,1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

500GB OS X12.7.3 Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
actually you can not paste it as *external drawing*. it goes to 2D drawing.
You must use import blocks of DXF OR DWG. then save it as GSM.