Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import from Rhino?

Anonymous
Not applicable
If we agree that shells like this can not be modeled by ArchiCAD, and let's say it is Rhino or any other modeling software, what is BEST procedure for 3D model import to ArchiCAD?

I must say that DXF files are extremely big and ArchiCAD usually crashes.
9 REPLIES 9
Dave Jochum
Advocate
TRIBU wrote:
If we agree that shells like this can not be modeled by ArchiCAD, and let's say it is Rhino or any other modeling software, what is BEST procedure for 3D model import to ArchiCAD?
You might take a look at the new version of ArchiForma (v2.0) http://www.cigraph-store.com/html/home/DESCRIPTION/AForma2.htm. I've not used it yet, so this is not an informed recommendation, but the capabilities of this add-on have taken a quantum leap.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
I've not used it yet, so this is not an informed recommendation, but the capabilities of this add-on have taken a quantum leap.
Thanks Dave, but don't think that "quantum leap" reaches NURBS modeling that I need for this kind of model? Usually you start from basic shapes like flat, sphere or cubic surfaces and you interactively edit them. It is advanced modeling, like sculpting.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TRIBU wrote:

I must say that DXF files are extremely big and ArchiCAD usually crashes.
ArchiCAD 7.0 - Rhino
I use for communication format .Obj (Wavefront) in ArchiCADu. It is possible create only binary , but be able to very pretty remove edge. Loss do you new 8.1 obj arrest no-supports ((. Rhino is elite additional modeller for ArchiCAD .
Anonymous
Not applicable
LubosC wrote:
I use for communication format .Obj (Wavefront) in ArchiCADu.
I know about .obj, OK it's for 7.0.

Any suggestions for 8.1? Any suggestions for surface smoothing?
DXF model importing is the only way and I can't get smoothing.

I wonder if Cinema 4D and other advanced modeling software users has overcome this problem.
stefan
Expert
Check the *.3ds-importer plugin (not included with ArchiCAD, but I've put it as an attachment in previous posts).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Stefan,

even if this API works for 8.0 (AC says it's outdated), I'm using 8.1 and I'll reinstall 7.0 for .obj import.

Hopefully I will have smooth edges. I found your posts and I'll test this API. We need it in 8.1, won't you agree?
stefan
Expert
TRIBU wrote:
Thanks Stefan,
even if this API works for 8.0 (AC says it's outdated), I'm using 8.1 and I'll reinstall 7.0 for .obj import.
Hopefully I will have smooth edges. I found your posts and I'll test this API. We need it in 8.1, won't you agree?
We absolutely need OBJ & 3DS import to be restored. They did work, so why throw them out?

But as far as freeform modelling goes, I hardly ever need it inside ArchiCAD, so I can get by just fine with what I have in ArchiCAD.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stefan,

This 3DS import add-on, does it works with your ArchiCAD 7? Not for me, not in 8 nor in 7.0.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just wanted to point out that you can download archicad 7 for mac for free on the graphisoft website. and it runs on snow leopard. i got excited because it meant i could open .obj files again (remember it was not available anymore after...). But strangely they didn't include the wavefront In library in the addons folder. Does anyone have an old copy archicad 7 for the mac and they could upload that wavefront object library. It would be so nice !
Thanks
Paul