BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import point cloud to ArchiCAD and make a terrain from it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I found an interesting article which describes some of the steps needed in order to import a point cloud to ArchiCAD and make a terrain from that point cloud:
https://asiabim.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/importing-point-clouds-and-modelling-the-terrain

However the the final terrain looks a little bit "flat" so to say (photo attached below).

Is it possible to somehow make that terrain a bit more precise (meaning: it corresponding to the position of the actual point cloud points)?

Thank you for the reply.

archicad_terrain.jpg
18 REPLIES 18
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Another user suggested me on Twitter that Cigraph's Architerra also has some distance filtering options when importing XYZ files:

https://twitter.com/OddGoderstad/status/700662321039826946
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
nedostizni wrote:
David wrote:
nedostizni wrote:
It's almost impossible to name which X, Y, Z coordinate coresponds to which point in a point cloud with randomly arranged points.
Understandable. This thread has a link to software that can reduce the number of points: Point cloud - Too many points.
No, this will work for any polygonal shape, but I think ArchiCAD finds the boundary then adds the other points to the interior (might not work correctly for an "S" type shape).

So If I understood you correctly, in case of rectangular (rectangular in top view) point cloud, it just needs to be exported from some other application (Rhino3d for example) in .xyz file, and imported to ArchCAD.

But if the point cloud in .xyz file is not rectangular (rectangular in top view), then it needs to be edited according to your article? Otherwise, the "S" shaped point cloud will look rectangular too?

Did I understand that correctly or not?
A point cloud is just a collection of points, there is no explicit boundary. A Mesh has an explicit boundary (perimeter) which ArchiCAD has to create when the points are converted to a Mesh. The xyz or txt file does not carry information about which points are interior and which are perimeter, so it is possible that ArchiCAD will create a Mesh with an incorrect perimeter, which can be fixed after import. In any case the xyz file does not need to be rectangular.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Laszlo.

Thank you David. Then I did not understand the purpose of your article. It shows how to create a point cloud manually (so to speak), without having to create it in some other application (Rhino, 3ds max...)?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
nedostizni wrote:
Then I did not understand the purpose of your article. It shows how to create a point cloud manually (so to speak), without having to create it in some other application (Rhino, 3ds max...)?
The purpose was just to show that the Place Mesh from Surveyor's Data command could be used for more than importing terrain data, that shapes generated from points, like a geometry formula, could be imported into ArchiCAD as a Mesh. With the addition of more modeling tools since AC 14 (Shell, Morph), this method has less of a use.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David
...that shapes generated from points, like a geometry formula, could be imported into ArchiCAD as a Mesh.
Did I understand it correctly that your article describes how to manually create a point cloud, without it being previously created (the point cloud) in some other modelling application?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
nedostizni wrote:
Did I understand it correctly that your article describes how to manually create a point cloud, without it being previously created (the point cloud) in some other modelling application?
Yes. As long as the .txt file is formatted correctly, ArchiCAD will read the 3D points and create a Mesh from them. The source of the 3D points can be anything.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the help once again.
agroni
Booster
I am opening a discussion from 2016 here again
Currently working with AC22, has there been any improvement concerning the transformation of a point cloud into a mesh? Grasshopper?
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
Josh Verran
Expert

Rekindling a bit of an old post here, I have been playing around with https://opentopography.org/ , from there I'm able to download point clouds from various locations on the globe.

From there I have been opening in Cloud Compare, I'm very fresh, but I think there's a way to manipulate the point cloud (crop, reduce points).

From there can export as either *.e57, or XYZ (TXT).

Can import the point cloud to AC, and/or create mesh from the XYZ (with a little tweaking in Excel).

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
Learn and get certified!