Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Import problems IFC from Revit to ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having issues converting a Revit model into ArchiCAD, and can find very little help online - everyone's trying to convert the other way! I have the Graphisoft plugin for Revit and am impressed that, visually, the model looks very good when it comes in to ArchiCAD.

HOWEVER, I've tried two models and strange things are happening! On one, everything is fine except that the balustrade for my staircase is moved a very long way from the rest of the model. In the other, all sorts of mad things have happened - a couple of windows and doors are missing, a couple of other windows are hidden within the walls (it seems to have ignored the structural openings) and worst of all there's a big tapered wall which definitely shouldn't be there - see attachment.

Is anyone else having these problems and can anyone advise? I have no ArchiCAD experience!
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is a way to find out where the problem probably lies: open the IFC file exported from Revit in a free IFC viewer. Then you can check whether those elements are that way in that IFC file. If they are the IFC export from Revit is the problem.
If they are fine in the IFC file and the problems happen when the IFC is opened in ARCHICAD, then the IFC import is the problem.
Let's see which one is it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thanks good tip.... So I've tried the A360 online viewer which threw up all sorts of crazy things so I downloaded one and it looks better, however...

The balustrade I mentioned on one model is still in the wrong place as it is in ArchiCAD. On the other model, where all sorts of funny things are going on, there are still plenty of issues but not all the same ones as I'm seeing in ArchiCAD!

Some of the problems are seemingly resolved - the mystery wall (which was actually an extension of a wall, not a separate entity) isn't there, some decorative detailing which had gone a bit crazy looks right, and some missing windows have returned (but not all!)

However some of the problems are still there such as my missing door and windows buried inside walls, and there are also some other entirely new problems. A couple of random bits of wall are transparent, for example....

There is no logical pattern to it - there's a window family type, for example, of which I have three when there should be four. So it doesn't seem to be attributable to particular objects!

So an export problem, or a bit of both?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In that case I would suggest that you get this file to your local ARCHICAD reseller, who will forward it to GRAPHISOFT HQ.
They are probably going to want to look at it to see if there is anything they can do on ARCHICAD's side.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
How frustrating! Unfortunately this is all too unpredictable to help my client out so for now, we'll be sticking to a good old 3D dwg. Thanks anyway for your response
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Shot in the dark, but sometimes weird things happen if elements are drawn very far away from project origin. Something to do with the large number that is used for the coordinates.

The dutch template comes equipped with a number of preset for IFC import / export. With a bit of trial and error (or ussually a phonecall to the reseller helpdesk) I generally get things to work with one of those presets. If you have more than one preset settings for import/export, try some others on your side.

I like tekla bimsight for quickly viewing IFC files. It's free
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Erwin wrote:
I like tekla bimsight for quickly viewing IFC files. It's free
I haven't used it much but I downloaded the Solibri Model Viewer which is also free and it is Mac native which Tekla isn't.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor