BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing AC files / survey, topo type drawings

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best way to import and utilize DWG surveys from the Engineers?

We are starting a new project and i want to set the base for a well functioning site plan that can be imported into multiple resident project in the future.

I have the DWG from the engineer. when i hotlink it, the cad layers populate my AC file. no good. place ext drawing automatically places it in the sheet layout and i need it in the drawing "model" space. attach xref, well, i am not sure where it went.

Any insight on what works for you would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
I usually place the DWG as a drawing to a worksheet then reference this into the plan view for tracing. I'm not sure why it's going into a layout unless that is the active window at the time or you're merging it as paperspace. of course you can still reference the layout in plan view.
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Usually I also recommend the same as Matthew, I think using the DWG Drawing as a Trace Reference can be good a solution for many things: it is faster, not selectable, its color can be easily set, etc.
By the way, we have collected the DWG import possibilities containing their advantages - disadvantages in this article: http://archicadwiki.com/DWG/Import
Katalin Takacs
Learn and get certified!