Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing Autocad MEP models

rm
Expert
We are working with a new MEP consultant that is starting to model their HVAC design work. They use Auto Cadd MEP to model their work.

Wondering if anyone here has had success in importing 3D HVAC model from Auto CADD MEP into ArchiCAD?Is there a particular file format you ask for from them, that seems to bring in data and layers relatively "cleanly"?

Any insight or previous experiences offered would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
As far as I know, your best bet is for your consultant to export an IFC file from Autocad MEP and for you to hotlink that into your file.

See also Podolsky's post here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72709&p=326249&hilit=hotlink+IFC#p326249
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
Karl wrote:
As far as I know, your best bet is for your consultant to export an IFC file from Autocad MEP and for you to hotlink that into your file.

See also Podolsky's post here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=72709&p=326249&hilit=hotlink+IFC#p326249
Thank you Karl.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm
Expert
I just received a sample HVAC distribution model from our MEP consultant as an IFC model. It came into ArchiCAD 24 & 25 on the first attempt. Aside from the MEP not using the same "stories" as we are, which can get resolved, this worked very well.

I don't know if that is a direct reflection of the IFC standard, GS implementing the IFC standard well, AutoCAD implementing the IFC standard well or combination of all of these. This deep tech theory stuff is above my pay grade.

Bottom line, it seems to work coming well importing from the consultants file!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
Good to hear!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB