Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing Autocad Solids into AC 8.0r3

tsturm
Newcomer
Dear Group

I am trying to import an AutoCAD 2000 DWG or DXF (I was made both) which contains objects which, according to the author, are made in AutoCAD using solids. I have tried numerous ways to import the information to get these objects. But nothing works. I get some of the information. Such as walls and lines as objects.

Can AC 8.003 import this type of information from AutoCAD?

What do I need to tell the author to do to his file for me to get the objects as library parts. Binary objects would be fine.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
14 REPLIES 14
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje,

something is wrong with the Archiguide (was last night, too).

If I for example click on the Problem Type 3D/imaging I get the exact same file list as if I click DWG/DXF. An extremely long and unhelpful result list. And some topics don't belong in either Problem Type, such as Scroll problems on the Mac with Logitech mice.

Other types exhibit a similar behaviour.

Maybe these problems should be sorted out before advertising the new Archiguide.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
I really do hope they sort it soon. It is quiet frustrating searching for things in there at the moment..
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Djordje
Ace
Ben wrote:
I really do hope they sort it soon. It is quiet frustrating searching for things in there at the moment..
No such time for server problems as the weekend, right?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Djordje wrote:
Ben wrote:
The tutorial that Thomas posted is to date the only work around
Not a work around. That is a method.

If you missed the announcement in Tips&Tricks - the ArchiGuide is revamped as of today, take a look!

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/
Method/work around.
Very fine line I belive. Until you can import them directly I belive it to be a work around. Why? Well if you can convert polymesh faces why not take it to the next level and make it possible to import solids?
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
stefan
Expert
To interpret solids, you need a license for the ACIS-kernel, which might not be what Graphisoft want's to invest in, certainly when the kernel is not used in the Core of ArchiCAD. I think it is rather expensive to support it only for file transfer.

Maybe some other file-conversion utitility might be a good inbetween step.

I guess it will never be possible.

Solution? Have a license of AutoCAD for conversion purposes 😉 or one of the competing products that might cost less.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book