BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing DWG - 2D Script Errors

kittonian
Beginner
More often than not, when I try and import a DWG, it comes in with tons of 2D script errors. They all have to do with double quotation marks. It seems that anytime any markup contains a quote in the DWG, it doubles that quote and creates a string error in the 2D script.

I have been taking them out by hand, changing the quotation marks into text but this is quite ridiculous and I would love to know why this happening so I can prevent it in the future.

Here's an example of a portion of the 2D script that throws an error:

PARAGRAPH "paragraph_1074_4" 2, 0, 0, 0, 1.04228
"LOW PT. = 7'-5" "
ENDPARAGRAPH

To solve this it needs to be modified to:

PARAGRAPH "paragraph_1074_4" 2, 0, 0, 0, 1.04228
"LOW PT. = 7'-5in "
ENDPARAGRAPH
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
That is just because the text in the DWG says 7' 5" so the script is enclosing the text in quotes which it must do.
However because it is the same quote symbol and there is now an extra one it creates the error.

Is there a reason why you are bringing the DWG in as an object?
Have you tried just placing the DWG with the 'Drawing' tool - it will remain one element like an object and will not create new layers or line types unless you explode it (then you have a choice of what to do regarding the creation of new attributes).

Or you can MERGE the DWG and it will create new attributes if needed and will automatically be exploded.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kittonian
Beginner
I am trying to "merge" it, not open it as an object. Perhaps I am doing this incorrectly. What I need is to bring it in and be able to have all the various blocks, etc. converted to GDL objects, dimensions, etc. so that I can start working with it in AC.
OS X 11.2.3
Barry Kelly
So you are just going FILE menu > FILE SPECIAL > MERGE ?
That should bring the DWG in as lines and text and depending on your DXF/DWG translator settings blocks can be converted to objects.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kittonian
Beginner
Well, since there is no more "File Special" menu in AC 21, I am going to File->Interoperability->Merge which should bring the DWG in as you described, and yet it does not escape the quotes properly in the 2D script. I'm fairly sure this is a huge bug in the translation code but I cannot believe I am the first one to bring it up.
OS X 11.2.3
runxel
Legend
Yeah, you're right: special characters should be properly escaped – which is not happening here.
But since everybody besides the US uses the metrical system it seems nobody has noticed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
kittonian
Beginner
Thanks Runxel. At least I know I'm not going crazy here. This is a giant bug and should definitely be addressed. It's basically impossible to bring in a DWG file as it stands.
OS X 11.2.3
Karl Ottenstein
kittonian wrote:
Thanks Runxel. At least I know I'm not going crazy here. This is a giant bug and should definitely be addressed. It's basically impossible to bring in a DWG file as it stands.
Seems like one that is easy to fix, too. Please report it through your reseller / country-specific technical support if you have not done so yet.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will also report this directly to GRAPHISOFT.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hey guys,

We took a look into this, and it is definitely an oversight from our side. This should be fixed in ARCHICAD 22 (those in the beta program should be able to see this change already), and we are looking into whether we can implement this for 21 as well.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!