Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing DXF/DWG files into ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've read the following:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/collaboration/dwg/import-dxfdwg-files-to-archicad-2/

I'd just like to check that there aren't any pitfalls similar to in Revit. For Revit, linking a DWG was the best option wherever possible and fully importing a DWG had to be done carefully with regards to cluttering the model with unnecessary information.

Can I merge DWG's without any concerns or are there potential issues to be aware of please.
7 REPLIES 7
runxel
Legend
Depends on what you are trying to do here.
Do you need the actual lines of the DWG or do you just want to have the information without the need to alter it?

For the first case:
It's like in Revit then, I guess. The DWG will clutter your file. Mostly line/fill types and layers.
The best advice here is to have a "blank template" *: a template thats literally completely empty. You can then open it, put the DWG in it, clean it, and then copy it without worrying into your main file.

In the latter scenario I would place the DWG as a drawing (shortcut: drag&drop the file to Archicad should do the trick).
You can still decide which DWG layers should be showing, as the pen set.
This makes it normally the good-to-go option.

* Masterscript.nl has an older version here.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DGSketcher
Legend
I place the 2D DWGs on a worksheet using Drawing Tool. Make sure you match the scales when importing if you want the text heights to match. You can then select the drawing and use the Drawing Selection Settings window to adjust the pen colours and which layers are displayed. This method has the advantage of placing everything in AC under a single layer so you don't get layer name clutter plus once you have filtered out what you want you can explode the drawing and use what 2D elements you want to edit into your project.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies. What's the best option when you want to import and edit a project that is in AutoCAD i.e. for moving a project and all associated drawings from AutoCAD to Archicad?

XREFs in AutoCAD, especially ones that have been cropped, seem to get uncropped and very messy on the first DWG that I've tried.

I tried binding the XREF in AutoCAD then importing but it brings it in as a block (I could always explode it in AutoCAD then transfer).

Transferring as layouts seemed even messier!
DGSketcher
Legend
Import as above. Depending on the import I sometimes create separate worksheets for the equivalent views to speed up using them as trace references. For other than site works I nearly always just use the DWG data as a trace reference.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
DGSketcher wrote:
I place the 2D DWGs on a worksheet using Drawing Tool. Make sure you match the scales when importing if you want the text heights to match. You can then select the drawing and use the Drawing Selection Settings window to adjust the pen colours and which layers are displayed. This method has the advantage of placing everything in AC under a single layer so you don't get layer name clutter plus once you have filtered out what you want you can explode the drawing and use what 2D elements you want to edit into your project.
This is almost always what I do -- I haven't used the XREF function since the Drawing Tool was introduced.

If I need the line work for some reason (usually a manufacturer's DWG for a 2D detail), I'll open the DWG in AC, delete all fills, select the elements I want and put them on the ARCHICAD Layer, and set the elements' Line Type to Solid Line -- this prevents adding unnecessary Attributes. Then either Copy/Paste or Merge (same thing) into your file.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help, I had to Google the Drawing Tool!

It seems like a much better option.

Laura, do you open DWG's that you will use for linework etc in a separate AC file, then copy/paste or merge into your main AC file to keep the main project from potentially getting cluttered with the DWG layers?
Eduardo Rolon
You could open the DWG in another AC file and clean it up before copying or if you explode it, after placing it using the drawing tool, you have the option of "not importing the DWG layers".

Using Ac's "Find and Select" you can select the lines that you need based on color (no layer needed) as long as the person who made the DWG knew what he was doing. It all depends on the DWG.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator