Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing DXF to create mesh.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, can someone please tell me if there is a way one can import a Surveyor's 3D contour DXF into ArchiCAD 17 and easily convert it into a mesh.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
The only way you can import as a mesh is to have the surveyors raw XYZ data file.
Then you can use the "Place Mesh From Surveyor's Data" command.

I am not sure if the XYZ co-ordinates can be extracted from the DWG file.
I vaguely remember something about this from a long time ago - but it may have been a DXF file.

I find it is actually easier to create a mesh using the DWG as a guide for placing splines to create the contours.
The result from a data file probably won't be exactly what you want anyway.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.

We managed to get the Surveyor to send us their data in an XYZ file and it was easy to create a mesh from it using Cadimage > Sites+Massing > Import Mesh from XYZ file. However, it uses their triangulation data and not the contours so does not show the site accurately enough.
Barry Kelly
Syncop8r wrote:
However, it uses their triangulation data and not the contours so does not show the site accurately enough.
Hence...
Barry wrote:
I find it is actually easier to create a mesh using the DWG as a guide for placing splines to create the contours.
The result from a data file probably won't be exactly what you want anyway.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but isn't it silly that someone creates a file with 3D information in it but we can only use the 2D information and have to manually input the height? Seems like unnecessary double-handling that we shouldn't have to do in this day and age.