Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing a Rhino file into Archicad causes scaling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have saved a selection in rhino as a .3dm file and imported it into Archicad 20 through 'merge' and the library. The object is however slightly scaled larger. I have tried re-import and it all results in a slightly scaled object. What more can I try to solve this issue?

Best regards,
11 REPLIES 11
runxel
Legend
Do the units (Rhino – Archicad) match up?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, they match, both being set to inches.

Thanks,
L
Narska
Advocate
I have the same issue, did you ever resolve this?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Narska,

Thank you very much for your question!

We used to have this as a known issue with ARCHICAD 20. But, this defect has been fixed from ARCHICAD 20 build 4022. I am wondering which ARCHICAD version and build number are you using?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue with archicad 24 and 23 and I try to open a rhino file with archicad 24 or 23 and both archicads keep crashing.
Lotlock wrote:
I have saved a selection in rhino as a .3dm file and imported it into Archicad 20 through 'merge' and the library. The object is however slightly scaled larger. I have tried re-import and it all results in a slightly scaled object. What more can I try to solve this issue?

Best regards,
Save it as a .3ds format file in Rhino and then use the 3ds import addon in ArchiCAD to bring it in and you can set the size upon import if it doesn't look correct with the figures it tried to import it with.

This has been by go-to method for as long as I can remember as ArchiCAD's '3dm import' workflow is always just rife with these sorts of bugs, errors, headaches and mistakes.
(sometimes it simply won't import the geometry as is and just import some broken up mess and you can't make head or tails or)

It's disappointing to see these kinds of issues still exist with v23 and v24, but like I said, I almost never use that method.

(Another alternative is to convert it to a .skp file in Rhino (sketchup format). ArchiCAD's sketchup "merge" function is much better and gives you comparable results to the 3ds import plugin. IMHO.
The advantage with this method is that you can actually drag the .skp file directly into your ArchiCAD plan window and it will import the file automatically. Useful when importing objects from the Trimble warehouse.)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
cpuello wrote:
I am having the same issue with archicad 24 and 23 and I try to open a rhino file with archicad 24 or 23 and both archicads keep crashing.
Hello,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

Could you let me know exactly what is the problem when importing Rhino file to Archicad: wrong scaling or crashing? As I mentioned above, the scaling issue has been fixed in Archicad 20 Update 4022. If the issue is crashing, we will need the Rhino file in order to replicate the issue in-house.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’m on ArchiCAD 22/Rhino 6 now, and the workflow doesn’t really seem too seamless.

ArchiCAD 22 does not support Rhino 6 natively so I am exporting as Rhino 5 everytime. Then I go over to ArchiCAD and import the 3dm as a library. The problem here is that ArchiCAD doesn’t seem to update the geometry afterwards, even if I export an updated model from Rhino to the same file name. I thought that ArchiCAD should detect changes in the library and then update accordingly, but it doesn’t. I want to update the model in rhino dynamically, so that I can plug it into my archicad file
I have downloaded the Rhino plug-in from the graphisoft website, but it does not support rhino 6 againgeometry dash
Should I appropriate the grasshopper-rhino-archicad-live-connection for this? I assume that ArchiCAD 23 should fix compability but is there a solution that works for you meanwhile?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
murazikberniece wrote:
I’m on ArchiCAD 22/Rhino 6 now, and the workflow doesn’t really seem too seamless.

ArchiCAD 22 does not support Rhino 6 natively so I am exporting as Rhino 5 everytime. Then I go over to ArchiCAD and import the 3dm as a library. The problem here is that ArchiCAD doesn’t seem to update the geometry afterwards, even if I export an updated model from Rhino to the same file name. I thought that ArchiCAD should detect changes in the library and then update accordingly, but it doesn’t. I want to update the model in rhino dynamically, so that I can plug it into my archicad file
I have downloaded the Rhino plug-in from the graphisoft website, but it does not support rhino 6 againgeometry dash
Should I appropriate the grasshopper-rhino-archicad-live-connection for this? I assume that ArchiCAD 23 should fix compability but is there a solution that works for you meanwhile?
Hello,

Thank you very much for your question and I am very sorry for the experience!

I guess you used this method to import 3dm files as library object in Archicad 22?
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77280/

If that's the case, unfortunately, as the object is placed in the Embedded library - which is unique to each project file - we won't be able to "update" the 3dm file placed here if there is any changes in the original 3dm. Not to mention, once the 3dm is imported into Archicad, it is converted to become a native Archicad object, thus having no connection to the original file.

From your description, I believe using Archicad 23 and Grasshopper-Archicad Live connection addon would fit your workflow better.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT