Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing a Rhino file into Archicad causes scaling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have saved a selection in rhino as a .3dm file and imported it into Archicad 20 through 'merge' and the library. The object is however slightly scaled larger. I have tried re-import and it all results in a slightly scaled object. What more can I try to solve this issue?

Best regards,
11 REPLIES 11

Hello Minh,

This is an old thread but still valid.  Issues with importing manufacturers files still very much exists.

Software: AC 24 - v3008.   Rhino 7

Downloaded a 3D dwg from manufacturer.  Opened in Rhino, saved Rhino 3DM version 5.  File --> Libraries and Objects --> Import Rhino 3DM file as GDL object in AC. 

Verified units in AutoCAD and Rhino matched and were correct per manufacturers dimensions, but import in Archicad scales the object up.  I am not able to resize or scale the object after its been imported to the correct dimensions.  Nor do I want to explode into morphs to do so because geometry is quite complex.  So why is it scaling?!

I also tried to merge the 3DM.  Same result.

Import methods I've tried:

DWG/DXF - Even though the file contains 3D, it only imports in a 2D symbol - no option to import 3D..?

3DM - Ideal and cleanest import for 3D.  But scaling issues exist and no way to resize, without exploding into morphs.

3DS - Not ideal.  Objects exploded to polygons - increased file size, and I prefer to work with simplicity of flat planes or nurbs, not triangulated polygons.

Sketchup - Looks terrible in plan/elevation.  No control afterwards without exploding into morph.  Please consider automatically showing object profile only not every single polygon.  We've had to fake linework over the object then hide object in 2D views.

Revit - Pretty much a worthless tool without the ability to modify parameters.  Unless you also have a Revit license and enjoy creating RFA files for each of your types.  Has there been any effort by Graphisoft to be able to modify parameters?

Importing is a key feature of Archicad that needs to be resolved.  Revit has so many object available and we have basically nothing, forcing us to figure out how to integrate.  And it certainly still does not seem seamless to me, either.

All I've found is a look how simple it is to import video that doesn't really work.  There could be much more documentation on integrating miscellaneous filetypes.  For example, where does it say that you need to downsave to Rhino 5 to import as GDL?  I had to save 5 different versions of the Rhino file and try to import to figure it out.

I'm at a loss because no matter which way I try to import I have problems.  I can no longer test different methods to find none of them work, and in need of some advice.

I can't attach the .dwg or .3dm file here, otherwise I would.  Happy to send supporting files via email.

Please help.

Thank you!!

Ryan

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear Ryan,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience and I am very sorry for the issue!

With the 3DM file that you sent privately, I found that this file does not have a unit assigned to it (if you check the unit under Document Properties, the unit is "No Unit"), thus Archicad failed to import the object with its correct scaling. I suggest giving a unit to the file, saving it in Rhino 5 format, and importing again. The scaling should be correct by now. I would recommend merging the model instead of importing it as GDL object, as your 3DM object is quite complex.

Regarding Rhino format compatibility: yes, you are correct. Archicad 24 and previous only support Rhino 5 format. With Archicad 25, we added support for Rhino 6 and 7 format, so now you can import them without any problem. We mentioned this in a few places on our website, but I agree that this information should be more visible. I'm very sorry for the trouble that this is causing!

One very important thing: I saw that you are still using the release build for Archicad 24. I strongly recommend updating to the latest build, which includes many important bug fixes.

Last but not least, in the future, I highly recommend reaching out to your local support for such support questions. They will be able to help you quickly in your time zone at your convenience, thus you will receive much quicker answers for your questions.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT