BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing custom window frames from dxf file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, I am wondering if you can import custom window frame profiles in Archicad 13-15 from a dxf file. As far as I know, this is possible for courtain walls, but I have no idea how to do it with windows.

Thanks!

Enrico
10 REPLIES 10
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Enrico,

You can import DXF files but I am uncertain as to your meaning of "profiles". If you mean like a custom profile then you could use the DXF linework to make a profile with which you then create the window frame using walls or beams and then save as a window.

If you mean to open a 3D dxf then you will have to open the DXF file as an object but it is not a simple step to convert to a window. You could try placing the DXF at zero elevation face up as you would a normal window, then place a slab with ID wall hole below it and then save it as a window but this may or may not work depending on the circumstances.

A picture or two may help.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Nicholas.
I am actually looking for a way to import a custom frame from whithin the Archicad window tool. I know I coulg go "around" the problem by creating the window frame using columns/beams with custom profiles, but then AC would not recognize them as a window.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Ah, now I understand. Essentially you can create a custom component that can be used as a window sash but you still have to convert from .dxf to .gsm.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Enrico wrote:
I know I coulg go "around" the problem by creating the window frame using columns/beams with custom profiles, but then AC would not recognize them as a window.
You can save the beam/column assembly as a window subtype and apply it to a copy of the window unit in the same location. This would need to be enlarged to the default size of the frame part.

You might also be able to open the window part and save it as a generic model type part to use with the beams and columns to create custom window assemblies for the project.
KeesW
Advocate
Wow - how relevant Archicad-talk often is!

I am trying to convert DXF/DWG window profiles from my AWS catalogue into complex profiles for use in a current, and future, projects. I've traced the DXF image with a polyline, copied this into complex profiles and thus created a frame for use in my drawings. Tracing is not completely accurate and it would be nice if we could somehow use the DXF/DWG drawings on the screen and convert them into polylines. Am I dreaming? Is there an easier way?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
rocorona
Booster
KeesW wrote:
I've traced the DXF image with a polyline, copied this into complex profiles and thus created a frame for use in my drawings. Tracing is not completely accurate and it would be nice if we could somehow use the DXF/DWG drawings on the screen and convert them into polylines. Am I dreaming? Is there an easier way?
use the Fill tool on the DWG imported drawing, then copy the fills and paste them in the Profile Editor Window

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thanks for your suggestion. I thought of this but have found, in the past, that using the fill tool was only marginally quicker than tracing with a polyline. However I'll use that method next time to see if I am any nore efficient with it.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Barry Kelly
KeesW wrote:

I am trying to convert DXF/DWG window profiles from my AWS catalogue into complex profiles for use in a current, and future, projects. I've traced the DXF image with a polyline, copied this into complex profiles and thus created a frame for use in my drawings. Tracing is not completely accurate and it would be nice if we could somehow use the DXF/DWG drawings on the screen and convert them into polylines. Am I dreaming? Is there an easier way?
Would the line consolidation tool help to simplify the DWG/DXF if there are many line segments?

KeesW wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I thought of this but have found, in the past, that using the fill tool was only marginally quicker than tracing with a polyline. However I'll use that method next time to see if I am any nore efficient with it.
You need fills anyway for your complex profiles so why not use those in the first place.
Also you can use the magic wand to flood areas or follow perimeters which should make drawing the fills easier.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate
Barry

Using the magic wand doesn't work on PDF's or DXF/DWG drawings, does it?

I'll give it another go.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Learn and get certified!