BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing from skp: not editapble, just a 3D GDL

Sam Karli
Enthusiast
Hi, my next problem:

If I import a Sketchup skp file, I only get a non-editable GDL object, not the (anywhere mentioned) walls, slabs, etc.

I haven't found info on any version limitation of the skp import tool (ie the older ones don't import into editable wall, slab and roof element). IS it an older import tool, or a limitation of the ArchiCAD SE. Or do I anything wrong?

Using ArchiCAD SE 2010.

Thx in advance
GDL/Python/C++ dev
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
There was a special SU import some years ago - well before SE 2010 - that would attempt to convert surfaces into AC elements - walls, slabs, etc. It was never particularly good at it - and support for it was dropped.

Import as a single GDL object is all that exists today. Where did you see something mention that you would get walls and slabs? If that information is still in an official place, it needs to get corrected...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Sam Karli
Enthusiast
Not too deep in Graphisoft's site

"Through its add-on, this mature and globally popular solution ensures a seamless data transfer from concept surfaces and colors into intelligent architectural objects and materials. In Archicad the user will find walls, slabs and other intelligent elements, just the way they had been created in SketchUp from the outset."

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/addons/sketchup/

Actually the real problem is not the lack of editability, but, again the lack of hotspots and hotlines that prevents usability when editing (other stuff).
GDL/Python/C++ dev
Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically this means there is no importing sketchup files? Not even 2d?

That's a sham(e).

Hope that changes with v.17
Karl Ottenstein
Nathan wrote:
Basically this means there is no importing sketchup files? Not even 2d?
No, all SU files can be imported... they will just come in as a single object. You can use the Morph tool to convert that object to a Morph and then change its shape, break it into pieces, etc. But, a horizontal shape, e.g., will not import as a slab as in the short-lived sketchup-to-archicad-element add-on.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK.

I'lll take an import of a SU model as a single gdl object. I can then rotate and explode to obtain the views i need.

Just one question:

Where is the import? Not an Available Add-on, and I don't see where to import it fromn the library menu.

Thanks.
Karl Ottenstein
Import is part of the Google Connections add-on:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/addons/google_earth/ge_earth_connections_download.html
Learn and get certified!