Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing the point cloud on the same coordinate system

wbuzan7
Newcomer

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out the most consistent way to bring a point cloud back in to a project on a different computer, and have it lay on the same coordinate system that it did before. 

Typically, when starting a project we rotate the point cloud and model off of it. When complete, we save the project and send it off. However, whenever I try to download and import the point cloud on a different computer, it comes in on the same coordinate system that it was on originally.

Does anyone have a solution for this that works everytime?

2 REPLIES 2

Hello wbuzan7,

I don't know if it's possible but I'm interested in the solution if it exists.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
martinij
Booster

Hello

I have a workflow that gets good results, but it's not a easy solution...

I open the pointcloud in a free opensource tool called cloudcompare. There I add a new point at the world coordinate of the projects 0-point. This is because Archicad don't handle coordinates in pointclouds well. When I then import the pointcloud in Archicad I can drag the 0-point in the pointcloud to Archicad's 0 coordinate. I never rotate the model or pointcloud but keep them in true north but I guess you can do this in project preferences if needed.

Alternatively you can translate the pointcloud in cloudcompare to your local coordinate system and import it directly in Archicad at the correct place, but I find that more difficult to have control over. 

As I sad this is not a easy solution and I have full understanding of anyone who thinks it's difficult. Often the surveyors can convert the pointclouds for you as well. So if you know the cordinatesystem you are modeling in and the coordinate of the 0-point in Archicad you can get them to translate the cloud for you.

Martin Isak Jansen
(I'm the one everyone at my company asks the tech questions)
www.artec.no