Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Integrating Polycam Pointclouds (and/or other formats)

Adam_Weiss
Contributor

Hi...I've recently gotten back from a job site where I scanned the existing conditions (small residential remodel) using Polycam on my iPad.  It has multiple export formats to choose from (OBJ, FBX, STL, DXF etc).  What is the best (and most resource efficient) format to bring it into my model.  

The intent is to use this as an underlay so I can quickly model the building and openings, without having to measure each and every nook and cranny.  I tried a DXF of a small aren and it nearly crashed my model, but perhaps I wasn't doing it right....

Any suggestions Community?

5 REPLIES 5
ryejuan
Advisor

Interesting app. Maybe you can try OBJ

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Miha_M
Advisor

If data volume is a problem then you could try to reduce the density using CloudCompare.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

My goal is to use this to build out the existing conditions accurately  in Archicad.  I was hoping the workflow would be for me to insert the point cloud (as I have done in Revit in the past) and then model the conditions to my chosen level of accuracy and then turn off the point cloud since I don't need it other than to verify existing conditions as I get more detailed in my model.

Is Cloud Compare an after market product?  I've not heard of that.

It's an open source project. For a free tool it's very useful. For basic point cloud operations it works great for me. But I'm no expert, one could go much deeper as this software is capable of so much more.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!