Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Interoperability issue - Share model with consultants working in Revit

amitchristian
Booster

What should be the best practice to collaborate with consultants using Revit. 

Archicad has option to export model in IFC or Revit. Our service consultants are using Revit.

We have tried many options till date but none of that has worked satisfactory  or flawless BIM exchange. ( Here we are referring to bit large size projects with Multiple HLM linked in main Archicad file.)

Options 1 - we tired to export IFC from Archicad - Here problems we are facing exporting IFC takes 3 to 4 hours or sometimes overnight. Then for consultants to import IFC again takes 4 to 6 hours. And even after the overall import process IFC in Revit has missing geometry and triangulation on surfaces. 

Option 2 - Direct save as in  Revit format of  model from 3D view, process is fast, but in this process we don't get any information on Storey/ Levels, Grids , or Zones/rooms. All elements  in Revit are converted to Generic Model and with limited property information. also often with some missing solid geometry and only  outer surfaces are visible ( hollow Objects) . So viewing solid cut plan or section view becomes a bit difficult.

Kindly guide on the best practice to share Archicad models with consultants. 

3 REPLIES 3
sinceV6
Advocate

Hi.

A direct save, as you noted, creates only generic models. It works ok for some cases. IFC is the best bet for now, but if your export takes 3 to 4 hours, I must assume that it is a big project and you are exporting it all in one go.

The way the information is created, stored and exported in AC and RVT is quite different, so some things will get lost in translation, so smaller bits of info are easier to handle.

You can create and save different views with separate elements and export IFC files that can be linked in RVT. This is almost a one time setup (that may change with the project) using the publisher.

One thing that needs to be taken care of is the IFC export setup, as the out of the box translators usually export a lot of element information, and this tends to make file size bigger and export time longer. Keep an eye on the element info that gets carried away in the export and keep it as lean as possible.

It also depends on how you'll work with your consultants, because sometimes the workflow involves they only return a model and they do not need too much element information.

Best regards.

Thanks for your suggestion. But still we have experienced that IFC exports from Archicad are not best way to share models for even small scale projects with consultants.

Attached are the screenshots of IFC export and Revit save as from comparatively small size project. Where IFC export was quick within 5 minutes, but as we can see, all geometries in IFC have triangulations, even though its a flat surface. 

And direct Revit save gives clean geometry but, it does not export solid forms (in AC25 version, while in AC24 version geometry was more accurate).

Please let me know if we are missing out on any important step here while exporting IFC or while importing it in to Revit. OR is it how IFC will always appear with so many triangulations. 

Consultants have to use our model as background and such triangulations need to be removed, it creates confusion.

Please review attached reference screenshots, where IFC shows triangulations in 3D view and plan. Also with IFC some elements show solid fill and proper lineweights and some elements with same properties do not show fill or lineweight. 

We still look forward to receiving solution to this interoperability issue from Graphisoft team.

IFC 3D View with Triangulation.JPGIFC Floor Plan with Triangulation.JPGRevit Save as 3D View.jpg
LFBIMMAN
Booster

Apologies for being late to the party but I feel I can add some valuable findings with how I use it with my company. We design buildings in Archicad & then MEP in Revit. 

First of all I make sure everything is classified, separate the fittings and the building, these get exported separately.

I export the building as a Revit model file (RVT) out of Archicad. I feel this is the easiest way to ensure that walls come through as wall categories etc in revit, this generally works very well! The triangulation lines you get are only coming through when exporting to IFC. 

The fittings should be exported as IFC, if you exported this as a Revit file you would find kitchen cabinets & sinks etc come through as a mechanical equipment category I believe this is due to the sub type settings within the object.... this could possibly be changed in the object settings.  Either way when I want this IFC in Revit I use the "improved IFC import" add-in in Revit, generates a separate file where I can click on the objects in Revit and re-categorize them to the correct category, this is mainly the generic model category items. 

I create a separate architectural model in Revit and collate all of the files from Archicad. you will notice that door swings etc do not bleed through, we created a translator that exports a dwg of door swings then overlay in the RVT architectural model. 

I feel objects coming through on the correct Revit category is important! . 

I realise this post is a number of year old by this point so if you have found a better way to import then please share it with us! thanks