BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Is it best work from standard or obtain a prepared template?

Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
I'm new to archicad and have decided to use it as my main cad software for my practice. Can anyone advise me please - is it better to function using the standard uk template or would it be better to function using a prepared template, obtained from one of the more well known trainers, such as the US master template by Eric bobrow to name but one? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Dennis Hellyar
8 REPLIES 8
Stress Co_
Advisor
I think the U.S. out-of-the-box "template" is best described as ...
something you would need to scrape off the bottom of your shoe,
if you stepped on it sitting in the grass.

Check out Jared's template here:
SHOEGNOME
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
OK thanks for the reply. This would be a US template and I guess would follow US standards in terms layers, units, etc. Do you think the benefits of this outweigh the fact these standards would be foreign to me? I sought some advice from a licensed graphisoft agent here and they thought I should stick to AC v18 UK standard template. Any thoughts?
Dennis Hellyar
Karl Ottenstein
I don't see any US standards in the Shoegnome template. But, it is oriented towards the US library and Imperial measurements as would be the Bobrow template, too, I assume.

I've not seen the UK template... while I agree about the US out-of-box-template, it is possible that the UK one isn't as bad.

Also: any template made before 18 will NOT have the proper Cinerender surfaces or scenes set up. Another thing to consider.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
The shoegnome template is based on v17. V17 standard template was identical across us and uk, indeed the world over.

Shoegnome's v18 template is not available yet as far as I know.

Ac v18 standard template is available in different versions - uk and us. I wonder though if v18 uk would still be regarded by you guys in the same way you see v17 standard.

Would be useful to see an experienced uk user's take on this.
Dennis Hellyar
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You would be better off with a template that is at least based off the standard UK template so that all the fills, linetypes, surfaces and building materials aligned with the UK ArchiCAD 18 library, translators, etc.

Any template not built using exact AC18 default attributes runs the risk of errors. And I doubt that Eric or Jared have upgraded theirs yet.

I'd recommend sticking with the default UK one or having one custom built to meet your needs.

Cheers,
Link.
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
Ok thanks for that. Not likely to have something built for the moment but it's clear enough I should stick with ac v18 standard for now until a uk equivalent to jared or Eric's comes along.
Dennis Hellyar
Dennis,

I would get a local to assist you to build your template. Someone that knows the local standards. The generic templates will get you most of the way there and I believe that for 90% of ArchiCAD users the ones on the net will give you the leg up you need, but if you want a system to meet all of your practices needs then invest in a custom template.

Nathan.
Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
Dennis Hellyar
Newcomer
Nathan - thanks for that.

It's that 90% thing that I was thinking myself - getting most of the way there with templates available on the net, sooner than sticking with the UK standard v18 template.

But I get the impression from Link, and some others that using a 'foreign' template will lead to problems...better to stick with UK v18 STD.

The best alternative I could find is someone as generous as say Jared and Eric B, with their free or at least inexpensive templates, from the UK, using v18.

That may be a tall order!

Getting a custom template built is certainly tall for us at the moment!!

I think v18 standard will have to suffice for the moment.

Dennis
Dennis Hellyar
Learn and get certified!