Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Is there a way to save common text items, such that they can be inserted from a menu onto the releva

reene11
Participant

For my projects, there often seems to be items of text that are relevant to all of my projects that I use on all projects. Currently I have a template with all of the bits of text I often used saved in a chart on the ground floor plan tab.

When I require one I simply go to that area and copy/paste into place.

I wondered if there was a more efficient way of doing this, such that I can save them all into my template file and then select the relevant text via a drop down / menu and insert into place.

I do already use labels for things like windows and beams to create schedules. Perhaps there is some functionality I am missing within this area?

5 REPLIES 5
Rico
Booster

The Project Info palette (File>Info>Project Info) allows you to add custom fields when can then be used as autotext.

iMac 27" 5K • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina • 40GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 5004 FRA
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X • Windows 10 • 64GB RAM | ArchiCAD 24 Solo UKI

You can save them as favorites, I have everything I need to draw an entire structure presaved in my favorites

Karl Ottenstein

I prefer the Project Info : Autotext method mentioned by @Rico because it is extremely flexible.  

The common text can be inserted into any place in Archicad that accepts text - any tool, function, anywhere.

It is a database... if you change the text in the Project Info field - the text is changed everywhere in the project - no need to hunt it down.

(Because of this database-like feature - the Autotext ID pulling in the Project Info field - not only can you correct/adjust the text - but if you need to translate the text, you have only the Project Info to translate and it appears everywhere.  E.g., a Canadian architect who has a project in Quebec.)

A negative is the challenge of naming all of these text phrases so you know which Autotext to select.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

One issue I've encountered is that you can't control linebreaks. This sometimes might lead to a bit botched up text, that you wouldn't have set if it has been done manually.

It's just a minor thing really, but sometimes has to be considered.

This just has let me think of a wish 🤔: The possibility to "render" autotext (make it regular text).

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I like to use properties for all my auto labels.

I use auto text for constants.

Either way it's all saved to my favorites.