BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Is there a way to sum a large number of fill areas in ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to sum a large number of fill areas in ArchiCAD?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
To sum by group, you must in some way distinguish elements of the groups. The easiest way is to use the Element ID field. In the attached example, I set the Element ID to either 1 or 2 for a bunch of fills. (You can also use the fill type, etc.)

With "Merge Uniform Items" checked, instead of seeing each individual fill area, we just see the subtotal for each group. The sum (sigma) for Area gives the grand total. (Unfortunately, ARCHICAD does not give us the ability to edit empty cells and thus put the text "GRAND TOTAL" in front of the bottom line. Have to place unassociated / free-floating text on top of the schedule in the layout as a workaround.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
poco2013
Mentor
All fills contain the property -- Area

Simply create a schedule with the defined criteria of 'Fill' and if you want -- further filter by ID #'s

Then add the area property under 'fields' and tick the sum icon for the area field which will sum all records.

Arch 21 only allows you to sum records
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to create the schedule but I can't get them listed. I don't have any elements like doors etc. It's a 2D document with rectangles which areas need to be summed. From the scheme options on the left I don't know what to select. I tried with components --> components by layers, fill layer but I couldn't get them appear in the list.
Barry Kelly
ArchiCAD will only schedule fills placed in the plan view - not sections, elevations, details, etc.
Are your fills in the plan view.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the fills are in the plan view. I have a large number of rectangles (material) in the plan view which areas need to be summed. There is no building in the document, just the rectangles. Ideally, it would be great if I could generate different tables for the rectangles because they are divided in groups (n-number of rectangles for wall 1, n-number of them for wall 2, etc.) in the plan view. What I need is the sum of the rectangles in group 1, then the sum of them in group 2, etc.
Karl Ottenstein
If the 'rectangles' were indeed drawn with the fill tool, in plan, then a schedule like the attached will give the sum of all of the areas. (If they were not drawn with the fill tool, then you can magic wand fills onto the rectangles to get corresponding fills.)
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
To sum by group, you must in some way distinguish elements of the groups. The easiest way is to use the Element ID field. In the attached example, I set the Element ID to either 1 or 2 for a bunch of fills. (You can also use the fill type, etc.)

With "Merge Uniform Items" checked, instead of seeing each individual fill area, we just see the subtotal for each group. The sum (sigma) for Area gives the grand total. (Unfortunately, ARCHICAD does not give us the ability to edit empty cells and thus put the text "GRAND TOTAL" in front of the bottom line. Have to place unassociated / free-floating text on top of the schedule in the layout as a workaround.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, Karl! I followed your steps and I managed to generate the area lists with the items distinguished by Element ID as you told me.
Karl Ottenstein
Glad that worked for you. 🙂
OBERMEYER
Booster
Is this still true for AC24? We created a schedule using fills as an exhibit to show area calculations for building permit (these drawings are a pain to generate for approval in Los Angeles, especially remodels). We then migrated file from AC20 to AC24. This is an old project, already approved, so we did not bother checking the area calculation sheet for correct migration. But we'd like to use the format as a template for ongoing projects.

I'll send screenshots in a separate post. Forgot how to load them here...
Andrew Obermeyer | Architect

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Learn and get certified!