Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Keyboard macro program for Win?

I am looking for a keyboard macro program (basically a keyboard shortcut program) that I can map a 1,2, or 3 letter combination to replace the cryptic AC system. So, for example, I could program O,O to be "Open Object" or C,W to open a wall cabinet favorite, without resorting to Ctrl/Alt/Shift keys. (Like Generic CADD if you can remember back that far.) Proven success with AC would be best. I am aware of AutoHotKey, but this sometimes gets into more programming than I have the stomach for. Anything simple and reliable? TIA...
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Funy it reminds me of one of my first wishes here in the forum... A loong time ago. here
Perhaps you have better luck than me.
You have a good memory to go back 14 years!

I'm looking for a way to use sequential keys, rather than multiple simultaneous keys which are still awkward even if they were easy to remember, which they aren't. I have this in Chief Architect, but can't seem to get this (yet) in AC.
Richard
poco2013
Mentor
FYI-- Not a answer to your sequential problem BUT ----

You may want to check out the StreamDeck push button block. Sold on Amazon. -- $200 US

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Stream-Deck-XL-customizable/dp/B07RL8H55Z/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28SQOEDNE48X7&keywords=streamdeck+xl+elgato&qid=1583200186&sprefix=streamdeck%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2

The device offers 32 keys programmable to hot keys or any text sequence and each key can display a icon or text or both, which makes it easy and fast to use. Keys can contain folders for other keys or multiple StreamDecks can be connected in parallel which allows for a infinite number of usable keys which can then be organized and segregated by category. I have been using a Streamdeck with Archicad for about two years now and found it to be a great time saver.-- very reliable

I found that Chief Architect's sequential pattern to be too restrictive since the sequence must be unique which does not allow one to organize operations/tools by a pattern. In effect, one then has the same memory problem. A visual indication is a great help since one can easily duplicate and display the same tool icons that Archicad uses in its program.

BTW-- if your interested, there are a number of inst. video for this device on YouTube.

EDIT: Streamdeck also supports (addin) mouse moves & clicks together with text input and hotkeys. No need for Auto Keys
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Edit: I read your post wrong (language barrier?). You want to push multiple keys to perform and action, sort of like typing an acronym. I'm not aware of solutions for that, though they may exist. Below my original response, it may give insight still.

_________

Given your example of changing the default CTRL + SHIFT + O for open object, this is something that can be done in your work environment with a Keyboard Shortcuts Scheme. You can have several of these, so I would first save out your current one, before tinkering with it.

Basically any AC application command can be given a shortcut there. So far I've had zero problems just migrating my custom Keyboard Shortcuts from version to version.

You are mentioning macros though, which makes me think you may want more than one application command done by a single button push. This does require software. I would say it also requires hardware. I have a logitech gaming keyboard at home which has I think 18 programmable buttons with 3 profiles, giving you 54 custom macro keys that you can basically add any string of application commands to, including setting up pauses in between to sometimes make things work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin wrote:
Edit: I read your post wrong (language barrier?). You want to push multiple keys to perform and action, sort of like typing an acronym. I'm not aware of solutions for that, though they may exist. Below my original response, it may give insight still.
An acronym is a good way to describe what I'm looking for in a keyboard macro program. AC currently allows one key, plus up to two modifier keys (ctrl/alt/shift) to be added. I currently have a 5-button mouse which has two of the keys mapped to CTRL and ALT. Currently, the default shortcut for Drag a Copy is Ctrl + Shift + D. (I don't do it that way since I just start dragging and press the Ctrl button on my mouse), but the point is that many commands (at least until reprogrammed) require an awkward and non-intuitive key-press combination. It would be far easier just to type DC for "drag a copy" or ZI for "zoom in". I can do this currently in Chief Architect and used to be able to do it for Generic CADD. I have set CB, CW, CF for "cabinet-base", "cabinet-wall", and "cabinet-full height", respectively, in Chief. It didn't take any time to learn these commands or to get them into muscle-memory.

I'm just looking for a program to do the same for AC, which will reliably know when you are typing to activate a command vs. typing text while in text or label mode.
Richard
Anonymous
Not applicable
Multiple keys shortcuts is maybe the only thing I kind of miss from Autocad.
I remember being lightning fast on my 486 computer with 2mb of RAM, 210mb hard disk and 14" monitor.
Of course in my Autocad V8 for DOS.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'm ussually activating tools by using ALT to pick up the settings of an element as a starting point. This is pretty quick too. So if I want to draft another wall, I use ALT and clicking a wall to activate the tool and then change the settings as wanted.

Dragging a copy of an element is another method I use a lot.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Richard wrote:
which will reliably know when you are typing to activate a command vs. typing text while in text or label mode

Now that is a big ask... probably look more towards one that you can toggle with a separate key combination so that when it does come to those situations, you can disable the function.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
kmitotk
Advocate
Get one of those gaming mouses with many programmable buttons and assign Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys to those buttons. Use it in conjunction with keyboard. It's much easier than stretching your left hand fingers trying to press two keys far apart. Just make sure that the mouse button can do "press & hold" before purchase.
Kei Mito

Architect | Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager
ArchiCAD 26 & 27 JPN USA & INT | Windows 10