Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Keyboard macro program for Win?

I am looking for a keyboard macro program (basically a keyboard shortcut program) that I can map a 1,2, or 3 letter combination to replace the cryptic AC system. So, for example, I could program O,O to be "Open Object" or C,W to open a wall cabinet favorite, without resorting to Ctrl/Alt/Shift keys. (Like Generic CADD if you can remember back that far.) Proven success with AC would be best. I am aware of AutoHotKey, but this sometimes gets into more programming than I have the stomach for. Anything simple and reliable? TIA...
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
16 REPLIES 16
I use an x key jog and shuffle and a steelseries keyboard, both of which do what you are asking.
Im sure there are some standalone ones to though
Lingwisyer
Guru
SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
x key jog and shuffle

What does the wheel do? The 12 key seems a bit pricey given that you can get a more ergonomic Razer Orbweaver for two thirds the price or even a Razer Tartarus for one third.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
I appreciate all the replies, but all these seem to be focused on hardware solutions. Some of these seem interesting, but I'm really looking for a software solution. I had one years ago until the company went out of business, and I can't remember the exact name anymore.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Lingwisyer wrote:
SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
x key jog and shuffle

What does the wheel do? The 12 key seems a bit pricey given that you can get a more ergonomic Razer Orbweaver for two thirds the price or even a Razer Tartarus for one third.
I actually switched away from razer because of their software. And lack of keys. But mostly for the jog wheel. The xkeys is much simpler to use, i use it with a wacom drawing screen. I like it because it has all of my commands and a ten key so my drawing hand can just draw while my other hand executes commands or inputs numbers. I use the wheel for zooming and precision zooming.

While the razer products are cool they just dont have enough buttons for me plus now that i use my left hand to zoom i am much faster at navigation
Richard wrote:
I appreciate all the replies, but all these seem to be focused on hardware solutions. Some of these seem interesting, but I'm really looking for a software solution. I had one years ago until the company went out of business, and I can't remember the exact name anymore.

Autohotkey looks promising
Anonymous
Not applicable
poco2013 wrote:
FYI-- Not a answer to your sequential problem BUT ----

You may want to check out the StreamDeck push button block. Sold on Amazon. -- $200 US

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Stream-Deck-XL-customizable/dp/B07RL8H55Z/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28SQOEDNE48X7&keywords=streamdeck+xl+elgato&qid=1583200186&sprefix=streamdeck%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2

The device offers 32 keys programmable to hot keys or any text sequence and each key can display a icon or text or both, which makes it easy and fast to use. Keys can contain folders for other keys or multiple StreamDecks can be connected in parallel which allows for a infinite number of usable keys which can then be organized and segregated by category. I have been using a Streamdeck with Archicad for about two years now and found it to be a great time saver.-- very reliable

I found that Chief Architect's sequential pattern to be too restrictive since the sequence must be unique which does not allow one to organize operations/tools by a pattern. In effect, one then has the same memory problem. A visual indication is a great help since one can easily duplicate and display the same tool icons that Archicad uses in its program.

BTW-- if your interested, there are a number of inst. video for this device on YouTube.

EDIT: Streamdeck also supports (addin) mouse moves & clicks together with text input and hotkeys. No need for Auto Keys
This is interesting to discuss.
Stream deck also provides Multi-Action and Multi-Action Switch macros, where we can put several hotkeys, hotkey switches, and text. Theoretically speaking, it is possible to do serial actions with one push of a button.

The problem with the hotkey is that they are a window-focus-specific action.

Or, perhaps this is a better solution: https://www.macrorecorder.com/ & https://www.autohotkey.com/

I bought one and it has been really helpful. 

AC25-26: Win10 Pro, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 128gb ram, RTX-3080Ti